Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-14, 06:16 PM   #151
cruiserhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
yeah Will saved me, that drive home would of been impossible without him.

I value the experience in the thread but I'm not convinced that it was all my fault going into that corner. From my POV, I was at the front and I had the Right of Way to go outside into that corner, then all of a sudden this guy appears to the right of me and starts cutting into the line I was going to take. The speed I was going, I could of tried to corner tighter but I wasn't positioned for it. Maybe I'm wrong and he had the right of way coming at me from the outside but this kind of stuff is never learned in any kind of clinic I've ever been in(I've been to 3), or any group ride or race I've been a part of.
Looked like you got chopped to me. Did that guy ever talk to you after? Missed it if you told us.
If it was me, I would have felt horrible and tried to help you. It's not about fault, just being decent.
Good luck with the recovery.

about holding the door open- my wife held the door of a shop so I could push the baby stroller through and a woman just cuts through.
Like my wife is holding the door for you????
Most people think they are "good people", because all the ******y things they do never register.
cruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-14, 11:58 PM   #152
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,479
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post

I value the experience in the thread but I'm not convinced that it was all my fault going into that corner. From my POV, I was at the front and I had the Right of Way to go outside into that corner, then all of a sudden this guy appears to the right of me and starts cutting into the line I was going to take. The speed I was going, I could of tried to corner tighter but I wasn't positioned for it. Maybe I'm wrong and he had the right of way coming at me from the outside
First, there is no "right of way" in racing. This isn't driver's ed. It's racing. If there is room for some one to try to pass you somewhere, expect to get passed, and that includes if you are a foot from the curb. He didn't "suddenly appear". You weren't paying attention. The guy was almost past you when you ran into him. Unless you were wearing some hipster wrap around sunglasses with blinders he was in your periphery for a fair bit.

Second, The line you took sucked monkey balls. If I was a primate expert I would use the specific species of monkey that had the largest balls by weight and volume. Calling it a "line" is being incredibly generous, calling it vague wandering is more accurate. And you were going half speed that allowed people to come flying by you in the first place.

You're not convinced that you were wrong walking out on the freeway because the guy who's car you walked into might have had a beer.

With 40+ years of 2 wheeled racing under my belt I will opine that if you keep riding like that this kind of thing will happen again.

If the clinics didn't teach you how to corner or what a racing line was, pm me when you get back up and running and I will take a couple of hours and show you some things that will help minimize the odds of this happening in the future. I hate to read about people getting hurt when it's avoidable.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 11:05 AM   #153
rapwithtom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
If the clinics didn't teach you how to corner or what a racing line was, pm me when you get back up and running and I will take a couple of hours and show you some things that will help minimize the odds of this happening in the future.
Interested.
rapwithtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 11:06 AM   #154
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
Thread Starter
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
First, there is no "right of way" in racing. This isn't driver's ed. It's racing. If there is room for some one to try to pass you somewhere, expect to get passed, and that includes if you are a foot from the curb. He didn't "suddenly appear". You weren't paying attention. The guy was almost past you when you ran into him. Unless you were wearing some hipster wrap around sunglasses with blinders he was in your periphery for a fair bit.

Second, The line you took sucked monkey balls. If I was a primate expert I would use the specific species of monkey that had the largest balls by weight and volume. Calling it a "line" is being incredibly generous, calling it vague wandering is more accurate. And you were going half speed that allowed people to come flying by you in the first place.

You're not convinced that you were wrong walking out on the freeway because the guy who's car you walked into might have had a beer.

With 40+ years of 2 wheeled racing under my belt I will opine that if you keep riding like that this kind of thing will happen again.

If the clinics didn't teach you how to corner or what a racing line was, pm me when you get back up and running and I will take a couple of hours and show you some things that will help minimize the odds of this happening in the future. I hate to read about people getting hurt when it's avoidable
.
Will do! Again I appreciate the feedback. If I can learn more, I'm all for it!
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 11:33 AM   #155
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
In January, Ovo and I went to a clinic in San Diego. IMO, it covered more on how to win a race than race safety. I did go over cornering, but not much else. I've learned more from posts here (especially X anad cdr) than the clinic.

My 2c is I'd take RacerX up on the offer, he'll be able to teach you more in 15 minutes than that 3 hour clinic did.
furiousferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 03:51 PM   #156
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,479
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
It's an open invite for anybody that's interested.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 03:54 PM   #157
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 3,040
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
It's an open invite for anybody that's interested.
Let me know if you take the show on the road to NorCal as I'd gladly be up for it...lunch or drinks or whatever provided.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 04:20 PM   #158
Ygduf 
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,301
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
^^ first he wants coaching, and now he wants lunch provided too!
__________________

twitter.com/ygduf
strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 04:38 PM   #159
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 3,040
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
^^ first he wants coaching, and now he wants lunch provided too!
gotta see how far i can stretch the e-generosity
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 05:06 PM   #160
valygrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 8,295
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapwithtom View Post
Interested.

+1 maybe we can get him to come to CO.
valygrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 11:25 PM   #161
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,479
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
^^ first he wants coaching, and now he wants lunch provided too!
I will see if Subway will sponsor my program. Subway...eat fresh and stay upright!
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 05:22 AM   #162
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike
 
dz_nuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boston
Bikes:
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Wow, sorry that it happened dude. While it looks like it may have been avoidable I can't say I would have done any better. I may have very well punched him in the face if I could have afterwards (Not advocating face-punching). The best part was that after that bonehead move he could hardly control the bike.
dz_nuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 11:51 AM   #163
tigat
Senior Member
 
tigat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 6.9+, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ovoleg: I'm not a racer by any stretch, but for some reason decided to visit this site and stumbled across your thread. Sorry for the late entry.

Last summer, a month before my 57th birthday, I took a fall in an organized ride and the result was the multiple fratures and repairs pictured below-both to the neck and trachanter. I'm even less of a doctor than I am a racer, so take this with a grain of salt. But my doc worked for a clinic in the mountains, and sees alot of these types of breaks from skiing, biking, etc. One of his partners is also a pretty accomplished bike racer.

They let me start spinning on a stationary recumbent 3 weeks in. 6 weeks in, I was upright on the trainer, and two months to the day post crash, I was on the road. By four months, I was at about 95% of the level I was at pre-injury.

All of this was part of an open dialogue with the medical team, and I don't think I pushed them at all. They just approached it the way they would a sports injury for a serious athlete, and I pretended to be one, figuring that at my age, the further I dropped off, the harder the climb back would be. Long winded way of saying, you might want to at least consult with a doc that comes from a sports rehab perspective.

Whatever the pace of recovery the prospects should be good. BTW: one pain pill? You are a hard guy and then some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xray1.jpg (92.6 KB, 8 views)
tigat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 12:06 PM   #164
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Ovo if you still need a PT I'm sure Tom Danielson could direct you to more than a few
furiousferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 12:48 PM   #165
mike12
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigat View Post
Ovoleg: I'm not a racer by any stretch, but for some reason decided to visit this site and stumbled across your thread. Sorry for the late entry.

Last summer, a month before my 57th birthday, I took a fall in an organized ride and the result was the multiple fratures and repairs pictured below-both to the neck and trachanter. I'm even less of a doctor than I am a racer, so take this with a grain of salt. But my doc worked for a clinic in the mountains, and sees alot of these types of breaks from skiing, biking, etc. One of his partners is also a pretty accomplished bike racer.

They let me start spinning on a stationary recumbent 3 weeks in. 6 weeks in, I was upright on the trainer, and two months to the day post crash, I was on the road. By four months, I was at about 95% of the level I was at pre-injury.

All of this was part of an open dialogue with the medical team, and I don't think I pushed them at all. They just approached it the way they would a sports injury for a serious athlete, and I pretended to be one, figuring that at my age, the further I dropped off, the harder the climb back would be. Long winded way of saying, you might want to at least consult with a doc that comes from a sports rehab perspective.

Whatever the pace of recovery the prospects should be good. BTW: one pain pill? You are a hard guy and then some.
Thanks for the post. How long were you on crutches & when did you start putting weight on the leg? Your recovery seems very similar to what my doc is predicting. I'm at 4 weeks right now.
mike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 01:02 PM   #166
tigat
Senior Member
 
tigat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 6.9+, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike12 View Post
Thanks for the post. How long were you on crutches & when did you start putting weight on the leg? Your recovery seems very similar to what my doc is predicting. I'm at 4 weeks right now.
I was 25% weight bearing from about 3 weeks in. Ditched the crutch after my week 8 visit. Didn't start running, though, until about 14 weeks. Hurt like the dickens at first, but pretty quickly got everything unstuck and reduced the limp to almost nothing by Christmas.
tigat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 02:52 PM   #167
mike12
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigat View Post
I was 25% weight bearing from about 3 weeks in. Ditched the crutch after my week 8 visit. Didn't start running, though, until about 14 weeks. Hurt like the dickens at first, but pretty quickly got everything unstuck and reduced the limp to almost nothing by Christmas.
Thanks. I may contact you occasionally through my healing process since everything seems so similar - even the break & nails.
mike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 02:58 PM   #168
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,333
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
i know a gamma nail when i see one!

i didn't realize until post-surgery how massive they are....15.5mm diameter and up to 480mm long.

got on the trainer 36h post-op, but haven't put any pressure on the pedals. i'm going to try for a few watts today.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tigat View Post
They let me start spinning on a stationary recumbent 3 weeks in. 6 weeks in, I was upright on the trainer, and two months to the day post crash, I was on the road. By four months, I was at about 95% of the level I was at pre-injury.
tetonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 04:13 PM   #169
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
Thread Starter
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigat View Post
Ovoleg: I'm not a racer by any stretch, but for some reason decided to visit this site and stumbled across your thread. Sorry for the late entry.

Last summer, a month before my 57th birthday, I took a fall in an organized ride and the result was the multiple fratures and repairs pictured below-both to the neck and trachanter. I'm even less of a doctor than I am a racer, so take this with a grain of salt. But my doc worked for a clinic in the mountains, and sees alot of these types of breaks from skiing, biking, etc. One of his partners is also a pretty accomplished bike racer.

They let me start spinning on a stationary recumbent 3 weeks in. 6 weeks in, I was upright on the trainer, and two months to the day post crash, I was on the road. By four months, I was at about 95% of the level I was at pre-injury.

All of this was part of an open dialogue with the medical team, and I don't think I pushed them at all. They just approached it the way they would a sports injury for a serious athlete, and I pretended to be one, figuring that at my age, the further I dropped off, the harder the climb back would be. Long winded way of saying, you might want to at least consult with a doc that comes from a sports rehab perspective.

Whatever the pace of recovery the prospects should be good. BTW: one pain pill? You are a hard guy and then some.
Thanks for sharing! I am taking it easy on the trainer right now, today is exactly 3 weeks. I spin for about 20mins applying just enough pressure to turn the cranks in the lowest gear I have which is 39/28, it comes out to about 5-7 mph. Just doing it to keep the legs moving and get the circulation going. I asked the doc and he was cool with it. He's definitely on the cautious side. I'm going to be seeing another doc in a few weeks to get a 2nd opinion and some input as well. When I called another office they told me to see the surgeon who performed the surgery, not sure why, but they wouldn't see me...

PT is next Tuesday, the earliest appointment I could get with a place that seems to have good reviews and was recommended by a friend. Unfortunately I'm a tad far from Rancho or I'd try Racer X's recommendation and the cycling PT is kind of far from me as well(1.5 hour drive).

I think my break was probably not as bad as some of you guys where you guys had a lot of pain. The worst pain is when they were scrubbing my road rash on my elbow. The guy kept at it with a lot of pressure for about 20mins, it was a solid 9/10 on the pain level but I figured he was going to be done any moment so why take pain meds if Its going to be over soon? Lol he just kept going and going I was like man...I have never been in so much pain that I needed to take it.

The worst pain I ever had was after I had shoulder surgery for a torn labrum about 5 years ago. Post OP it hurt like hell so I had to take pain meds on regular intervals for 2-3 days.

How are you feeling now, a year later?
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 05:08 PM   #170
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,424
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonrider View Post
15.5mm diameter and up to 480mm long.
w*** t** f***
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 05:38 PM   #171
tigat
Senior Member
 
tigat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 6.9+, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
How are you feeling now, a year later?
Thanks for asking. At 10 months, I seldom have reason to think about the injury, beyond an occasional tinge of pain or stiffness. I've logged about 3000 miles ytd, including trainer miles, at speeds better than this time last year. Skied hard and steep without problems. Can run as much as I care to (get bored after 10 miles or so), so no complaints. Doc kept telling me that bones heal, and he was right.
tigat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 05:50 PM   #172
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Bikes:
Posts: 20,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should see how they saw the bone up and do hip replacements in the OR. I bet one of the surgeons I know could do it in less than an hour before leaving the resident to close!
ridethecliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 08:11 PM   #173
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,333
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
w*** t** f***
yeah, no $h!t....

they actually come in 280-460mm lengths. not sure which i have--i'll ask on thursday. judging by the incisions it's on the shorter side...but still at least 30cms.

the lag screw alone is 70-120mm. the instructions for the installation are available on line...use a reamer to hollow out the bone, drive in the nail, run the lag bolt....set screws, etc. it's some big hardware.

i'm wondering if i'll be able to do a local run & ride race/event that passes by my house in about 1 month. hm.
tetonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 08:25 PM   #174
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,190
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Second, The line you took sucked monkey balls. If I was a primate expert I would use the specific species of monkey that had the largest balls by weight and volume.
Gotta be a baboon.
grolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 08:41 PM   #175
Astrozombie
Senior Member
 
Astrozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East L.A.
Bikes: Windsor Dover, Motobecane Mirage, Diamondback Insight
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wonder if the sunset had anything to do with it, the other day I almost got run over crossing a street at sunset
Astrozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 PM.