Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-14, 08:56 AM   #101
ColnagoC40
Senior Member
 
ColnagoC40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
lol.

we discuss doping, take hard stands about "cheaters" all the time, and hear about it on the news with some frequency. Some of the things I've personally heard on the news over excuses for failures being related to sample handling, chain of custody issues, mix ups, etc., have always landed hollow on my ears, but in the absence of actually being subject to the process, I didn't have first hand insight to their veracity.

Since I now have actually been tested, I thought it was a good thread to provide some first hand insight into the process, and to have a thread where dialogue could be had over the how and where.

instead, it turned into an obtuse discussion about the merits of testing, petty arguments, and lastly casting insults. <shrug> such is life.
One bad apple, or is it "blue bottle" can spoil the rest. Good thing though is that the mods here seem to get involved when it goes too far.
ColnagoC40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 08:58 AM   #102
Ygduf 
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,473
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
__________________

strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 09:00 AM   #103
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,999
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I don't get this blue bottle thing. Explain?
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 09:02 AM   #104
Ygduf 
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,473
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
it's coffee. I presume the joke is the caffeine is making him hyper. Otherwise there is some liquour by blue bottle, and the joke is that he's drunk.

either way.
__________________

strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 10:22 AM   #105
shovelhd
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,527
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Think fast and furious.
shovelhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 10:28 AM   #106
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,569
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
are those supposed to be tears? tears are clear, not white.. which makes me wonder what that stuff is on his face.
spectastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 11:09 AM   #107
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Bikes:
Posts: 4,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
All I know is my old Seattle team
that was nothing more than a fun bit of jingoism.
It is now gone.
Hida Yanra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 11:11 AM   #108
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Bikes:
Posts: 4,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
He just needs more air. Laying off the blue bottle would be a good start.
I'm in favor of not going near blue bottles at all- nasty, aggressive monsters.
Hida Yanra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 01:23 PM   #109
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Bikes: Cervelo R3
Posts: 3,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I rattled and hacked through this thread quickly.

Conclusion; only those that have ridden on cohesive teams should chime in. Which basically takes out almost every lower cat on this board.

And to the guy who thought Cav was the weakest of his squad and was plainly dropped off with 150 meters left. I double dog dare you to sit on those wheels, at those speeds, in those quarters and still have anything left to accelerate even more in the end. Cav can out-climb, out-TT and out-roleur half the peloton, but is paid to sit and wait. "Team" orders. See... there's that damn "team" sport thing again.

Jamie, tactics and teamwork are my bread and butter, but don't give away the secrets. Otherwise everyone will think they too can be in our super secret club of knowledge. And really, they can't. Selflessness be required and weekend warriorism tends to find the opposite.
YMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 02:01 PM   #110
echappist
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 8,794
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMCA View Post
I rattled and hacked through this thread quickly.

Conclusion; only those that have ridden on cohesive teams should chime in. Which basically takes out almost every lower cat on this board.

And to the guy who thought Cav was the weakest of his squad and was plainly dropped off with 150 meters left. I double dog dare you to sit on those wheels, at those speeds, in those quarters and still have anything left to accelerate even more in the end. Cav can out-climb, out-TT and out-roleur half the peloton, but is paid to sit and wait. "Team" orders. See... there's that damn "team" sport thing again.

Jamie, tactics and teamwork are my bread and butter, but don't give away the secrets. Otherwise everyone will think they too can be in our super secret club of knowledge. And really, they can't. Selflessness be required and weekend warriorism tends to find the opposite.
the casual bike racing fan just doesn't appreciate how much goes into the final 3-5 km of a sprint stage. 400W average for the lat 5 min leading up to the actual sprint, and that's with a lot of soft pedaling. Many spikes into the kW range, just to sit on. And after 5 min of that, then you sprint. And we haven't even gotten into the position jostling.

Anyone dismissing the efforts that sprinters put in should at least ride 5 minutes of threshold over-under efforts and then try to sprint. Most probably won't be able to get out of the saddle.
echappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 02:07 PM   #111
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,881
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMCA View Post
I rattled and hacked through this thread quickly.

Conclusion; only those that have ridden on cohesive teams should chime in. Which basically takes out almost every lower cat on this board.

And to the guy who thought Cav was the weakest of his squad and was plainly dropped off with 150 meters left. I double dog dare you to sit on those wheels, at those speeds, in those quarters and still have anything left to accelerate even more in the end. Cav can out-climb, out-TT and out-roleur half the peloton, but is paid to sit and wait. "Team" orders. See... there's that damn "team" sport thing again.

Jamie, tactics and teamwork are my bread and butter, but don't give away the secrets. Otherwise everyone will think they too can be in our super secret club of knowledge. And really, they can't. Selflessness be required and weekend warriorism tends to find the opposite.
I lament you going back to FLA you SOB
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 02:56 PM   #112
needmoreair
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoC40 View Post
A ship can only have one Captain, but he still needs his crew. If being a crew (cycle team) member does not float your boat, try tennis, but stay away from playing doubles.

BTW, perhaps let the TDF organizers know, they used the wrong English for publishing all their new teams, as "team" does not exist in cycling, or it is not a "team" sport.
What are you going on about? I've raced for very good teams. And I've raced solo. And I've won racing both ways.

In the TDF, one man stands atop a podium. Who said anything about there not being any teams? Again, copy and paste it instead of wasting everyone's time replying to stuff you simply make up.

At the end of the day you guys can try to argue all you want but it simply doesn't matter. One person wins. That's it. Choose a better side to argue next time.
needmoreair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 02:58 PM   #113
EventServices
Announcer
Thread Starter
 
EventServices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Detroit's North Side.
Bikes: Many
Posts: 5,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, this was fun. And revealing.

Thanks, all, for playing along.
I now know who I want on my cycling team.
EventServices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 02:58 PM   #114
needmoreair
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMCA View Post
I rattled and hacked through this thread quickly.

Conclusion; only those that have ridden on cohesive teams should chime in. Which basically takes out almost every lower cat on this board.
Hmmm. But then we'd miss out on so much witty banter...
needmoreair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 03:06 PM   #115
needmoreair
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
I'm worried you might just be a jerk?

I've both given and received compliments on riding done for a teammate. It's a nice feeling having someone tell you that you rode well and controlled the race for a teammate who won/placed. Is that not some form of glory?
That's certainly not something to worry about. Whether I am or am not or am to certain people (certainly), etc., isn't particularly relevant.

Sure it is. So is getting a hug from a 5 year old while he whispers "you're the greatest bike racer in the whole world" into your ear.

Don't get me wrong. There are lots and lots and lots of reasons to race and race as well as you can (or do anything) and the vast, vast majority of people do it for something other than winning (because winning is very, very hard).

But the race is for the winner. The top podium spot, the flowers, the kisses, the trophy, the money,the jersey, the title, etc., is for the winner. It is not for the winner's teammates. They may take pride in their role and may relish in the glory and spoils of victory, to be sure, but they themselves are not the victor. It's simply not how racing works.

So the whole idea of stripes or jerseys or whatever for teammates is ridiculous, in my opinion. And I'm speaking as someone who has been a teammate and not a winner. I would feel ridiculous wearing nat. champ stripes or world champ stripes or whatever if I wasn't the first person across the line. The winner seals the deal. They're the ones who got across the line first. They're the ones who deserve that glory.
needmoreair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 03:09 PM   #116
needmoreair
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolby View Post

needmoreair on the other hand has never cried. He takes curdled milk in his coffee and eats baby porcupines for breakfast. And he knows that winning a bike race is serious business and no one cares about those other chumps who showed up to lose.


Please. I weep tears of acid over the shattered carcasses of those who dare try take my wheel or argue a line.

Baby porcupines? That's perverse.
needmoreair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 03:11 PM   #117
needmoreair
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
lol.

we discuss doping, take hard stands about "cheaters" all the time, and hear about it on the news with some frequency. Some of the things I've personally heard on the news over excuses for failures being related to sample handling, chain of custody issues, mix ups, etc., have always landed hollow on my ears, but in the absence of actually being subject to the process, I didn't have first hand insight to their veracity.

Since I now have actually been tested, I thought it was a good thread to provide some first hand insight into the process, and to have a thread where dialogue could be had over the how and where.

instead, it turned into an obtuse discussion about the merits of testing, petty arguments, and lastly casting insults. <shrug> such is life.

Are you kidding me?! The phrases is "c'est la vie". Come on, man!

Oye, we need a handbook on how to be a euro pro without being a euro pro... Should be a test before final upgrades.
needmoreair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 03:14 PM   #118
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,881
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoreair View Post
Are you kidding me?! The phrases is "c'est la vie". Come on, man!

Oye, we need a handbook on how to be a euro pro without being a euro pro... Should be a test before final upgrades.
C'est la vie? That's ok

unless you mean something else, it isn't oye.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 03:15 PM   #119
needmoreair
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventServices View Post
Well, this was fun. And revealing.

Thanks, all, for playing along.
I now know who I want on my cycling team.
A very fast sprinter. An almost as fast sprinter to lead him out. A time trialing/opportunistic elbow-tosser who can take care of business and a big, hard-ass euro dude who can roll 30+ mph for miles at a time.

That's what I'd want for the vast majority of American races. Screw the skinny climber guys. Put them in the gutter and get on with your day and hope your sprinter throws a little podium girl game your way from time to time.
needmoreair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 03:16 PM   #120
needmoreair
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
C'est la vie? That's ok

unless you mean something else, it isn't oye.
I don't know what you're going on about, but oye is most certainly oye.
needmoreair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 03:16 PM   #121
Ygduf 
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,473
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoreair View Post
But the race is for the winner. The top podium spot, the flowers, the kisses, the trophy, the money,the jersey, the title, etc., is for the winner. It is not for the winner's teammates. They may take pride in their role and may relish in the glory and spoils of victory, to be sure, but they themselves are not the victor. It's simply not how racing works.
You grasp of pedantry is amazing. You are the victor in the battle of semantic tautology.


*edit: actually, I care to argue the definitive meaning of the word "for." There are many goals and reasons to race, therefor all those things listed, and especially something as amorphous and fungible as the "glory" you first referenced, can be "for" just about anyone in a race.

There is one person marked as first place, but many winners. Even on the USAC results page, you'll see multiple gold/silver/bronze trophy icons down the list. That's one small denotation that there is more than first place to be recognized, as it is literally bring recognized on the results.
__________________

strava.com/athletes/ygduf

Last edited by Ygduf; 05-30-14 at 03:21 PM.
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 03:22 PM   #122
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,881
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoreair View Post
I don't know what you're going on about, but oye is most certainly oye.
ummm no. I got the jew cred on that one.

oye is spanish for something listen
you were trying to say oy
not to be confused with oi
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 03:31 PM   #123
echappist
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 8,794
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
ummm no. I got the jew cred on that one.

oye is spanish for something listen
you were trying to say oy
not to be confused with oi
maybe that's the newest contraction of "oy vey"? then again, i'm just a goy and no mensch
echappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 03:41 PM   #124
needmoreair
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
You grasp of pedantry is amazing. You are the victor in the battle of semantic tautology.


*edit: actually, I care to argue the definitive meaning of the word "for." There are many goals and reasons to race, therefor all those things listed, and especially something as amorphous and fungible as the "glory" you first referenced, can be "for" just about anyone in a race.

There is one person marked as first place, but many winners. Even on the USAC results page, you'll see multiple gold/silver/bronze trophy icons down the list. That's one small denotation that there is more than first place to be recognized, as it is literally bring recognized on the results.
Didn't I already say there are lots of reasons to race? I'm pretty sure I did. I'd copy and paste it but surely you can go read it yourself.

But no, there are not "many winners" of a race. There is a winner of a race. If a race is broken up so that there is more than one winner, then that simply means that there are races within that race. But that winner is still the winner of a particular race and does not share that victory with another (unless a team event, which road racing isn't...see how I brought that full-circle? Yeah.).
needmoreair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 03:47 PM   #125
needmoreair
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
ummm no. I got the jew cred on that one.

oye is spanish for something listen
you were trying to say oy
not to be confused with oi
I don't know what you're going on about with that jew cred nonsense.

Something listen? You mean listen up? Yeah, amigo. That's precisely what I'm putting down. And I wasn't even sure how it was spelled, I just tapped into my incredible phonemic awareness abilities and coded that stuff out. Oyyyy-yeahhhhh.

But since you mentioned it, oi,oi,oi!
needmoreair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:18 AM.