Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-05, 04:58 PM   #1
khuon
DEADBEEF
Thread Starter
 
khuon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
Posts: 12,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sound effects on OLN

Am I the only one getting a little annoyed over the stupid sound effects for their little ticker at the bottom of the screen? OLN is starting to look like Fox Sports with those annoying effects. I want to watch a bike race... not a video game.
__________________
1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-05, 05:47 PM   #2
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuon
Am I the only one getting a little annoyed over the stupid sound effects for their little ticker at the bottom of the screen? OLN is starting to look like Fox Sports with those annoying effects. I want to watch a bike race... not a video game.
I'd rather have that then have to listen to Bob Roll say "Tour day France" one more time!
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-05, 06:36 PM   #3
EventServices
Announcer
 
EventServices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Detroit's North Side.
Bikes: Many
Posts: 5,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It tested well in all the focus groups.

And as for Bob Roll, he's paid his dues. He's done more in this sport than most people realize. I let him say it however he wants.
EventServices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-05, 09:07 PM   #4
fight or flight
...
 
fight or flight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: on your wheel
Bikes: '59 Chrome Carlton track, '04 Bianchi Giro
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's his Lance, Lance, Lance commentary that's getting to me.
fight or flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 05:25 AM   #5
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventServices
It tested well in all the focus groups.

And as for Bob Roll, he's paid his dues. He's done more in this sport than most people realize. I let him say it however he wants.
Don't misunderstand me. I have always been a big fan of Roll. I have all of his books, and I find him amusing. It's just that one thing that drives me nuts everytime he says it.
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 05:33 AM   #6
khuon
DEADBEEF
Thread Starter
 
khuon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
Posts: 12,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive69
Don't misunderstand me. I have always been a big fan of Roll. I have all of his books, and I find him amusing. It's just that one thing that drives me nuts everytime he says it.
To be honest, I would have gotten annoyed with it a long time ago had I not known that people would get riled up over it. It's only in the knowledge that it gets people's panties in a bunch everytime he says it that continues to cause me to chuckle.
__________________
1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 05:56 AM   #7
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuon
To be honest, I would have gotten annoyed with it a long time ago had I not known that people would get riled up over it. It's only in the knowledge that it gets people's panties in a bunch everytime he says it that continues to cause me to chuckle.
Of course knowing Roll's personality, he might even be doing it on purpose. He always has that mischievious look on his face like he knows something that we don't.
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 06:14 AM   #8
khuon
DEADBEEF
Thread Starter
 
khuon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
Posts: 12,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive69
Of course knowing Roll's personality, he might even be doing it on purpose. He always has that mischievious look on his face like he knows something that we don't.
I personally believe he's doing it on purpose. He's fairly capable of pronouncing the names of the other races correctly. He pronounces the names of most of the European riders correctly. He pronounces the names of the climbs, the towns, other French terminology... He consciously made fun of himself and the pronunciation of the TdF in an OLN commercial a couple of years ago. It's an act.
__________________
1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 07:24 AM   #9
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuon
I personally believe he's doing it on purpose. He's fairly capable of pronouncing the names of the other races correctly. He pronounces the names of most of the European riders correctly. He pronounces the names of the climbs, the towns, other French terminology... He consciously made fun of himself and the pronunciation of the TdF in an OLN commercial a couple of years ago. It's an act.
Thanks, I needed that, and as I think about it I agree with you. It will no longer bother me! AAMOF, I will now be amused by the fact that I know he is doing it on purpose. It is interesting how one can go from being disturbed to being amused by the same act - it's all a matter of perspective!
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 07:57 AM   #10
pearcem
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
has anyone else been overall pleased by OLN's coverage? granted cycling isn't getting amazing coverage like football or basketball gets, but it's still a big step. The ticker thing is a little annoying, but the commentary is pretty good overall. They do talk about lance and discovery a lot, but that sort of makes since since they are broadcasting to an american audience and it's the only american based D1 team (or so i believe). And whether you like the little carmichael segments or any of the other tidbits, thet're still a cool idea to mix up the coverage a little, even if they do need a bit of work.
pearcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 07:59 AM   #11
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearcem
has anyone else been overall pleased by OLN's coverage? granted cycling isn't getting amazing coverage like football or basketball gets, but it's still a big step. The ticker thing is a little annoying, but the commentary is pretty good overall. They do talk about lance and discovery a lot, but that sort of makes since since they are broadcasting to an american audience and it's the only american based D1 team (or so i believe). And whether you like the little carmichael segments or any of the other tidbits, thet're still a cool idea to mix up the coverage a little, even if they do need a bit of work.
I personally love the coverage. I think they have a great mix of racing, Carmichael tidbits, and little bits on the Discovery team. I find myself really looking forward to Sunday afternoons.
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 08:29 AM   #12
Laggard
Lance Hater
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I wish they'd shut the hell up about Lance and Discovery and skip the Carmichael crap.

Just show bike racing and talk about what's relevant.
Laggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 08:52 AM   #13
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard
I wish they'd shut the hell up about Lance and Discovery and skip the Carmichael crap.

Just show bike racing and talk about what's relevant.
It is difficult for me to believe that anyone interested in the sport would not be interested in: 1) The world's best rider, 2) his team - especially one based in the good old USA, and 3) perhaps even his coach and what he has to say.

I can't wait till the Tour Day France!
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 10:48 AM   #14
Laggard
Lance Hater
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive69
It is difficult for me to believe that anyone interested in the sport would not be interested in: 1) The world's best rider
I am interested in the worlds best rider. Lance isn't that rider though.

As far as teams, I'm much more interested in CSC, CA and Quick Step than I am in Discovery.
Laggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 10:49 AM   #15
2Rodies
El Diablo
 
2Rodies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Austin Tx, Ex So Cal
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,
Posts: 2,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard
I wish they'd shut the hell up about Lance and Discovery and skip the Carmichael crap.

Just show bike racing and talk about what's relevant.
I totally agree...I could care less about what LA is doing unless it's directly concerning his racing. I'm a huge LA fan and I believe he has done tremendous good for US cycling, but I'd rather see more of the race and less of the segments. I wish they would just revive the LA Chronicales and do all the Discovery and Chris Charmichael stuff there. I do however enjoy the mini-bio's they are running. I enjoyed the one on BJ yesterday.

FWIW the talking heads are only doing what they are told to do by the producers. They are the ones that are telling Paul to keep bringing LA into the Conversation. Bob may be doing it anyway just because he is LA's friend but I'm sure he is given direct instructions to talk LA up.
2Rodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 10:56 AM   #16
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard
I am interested in the worlds best rider. Lance isn't that rider though.

As far as teams, I'm much more interested in CSC, CA and Quick Step than I am in Discovery.
Well with Lance's record, hopefully YOU consider him as a top ten rider (LOL). As far as interest, I am interested in all of the teams, and get wonderful info by subscribing to Velo News. Come to think of it, LA is a bum - anyone can win 6 TDF's with super genetics and a super human work ethic - it's easy with that going for you. He is a damn wannabe.
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 11:00 AM   #17
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche
 
HigherGround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
Bikes: Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)
Posts: 5,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Personally, I'm thrilled that they have a weekly show on cycling. I remember when you could only find out about cycling by reading the top ten of the Tour stage finishes at the bottom of the box scores section of the newspaper. Then you'd have to wait 2 weeks to read the stories in Velo News, and a month to see the glossy color pictures in Winning. There may be minor things here and there that could be improved, but they have timely coverage and knowledgeabe announcers who have been there, done that. Considering how small of a draw cycling is for the total American population, I think we're very, very lucky.
__________________
The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.
HigherGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 11:01 AM   #18
nick burns
Senior Member
 
nick burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Absecon, NJ
Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600
Posts: 2,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard
I wish they'd shut the hell up about Lance and Discovery and skip the Carmichael crap.

Just show bike racing and talk about what's relevant.
Ditto. They break from the race coverage so often I lose track of what's going on.
nick burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 11:02 AM   #19
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche
 
HigherGround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
Bikes: Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)
Posts: 5,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive69
Thanks, I needed that, and as I think about it I agree with you. It will no longer bother me! AAMOF, I will now be amused by the fact that I know he is doing it on purpose. It is interesting how one can go from being disturbed to being amused by the same act - it's all a matter of perspective!
A very good point about life in general!
__________________
The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.
HigherGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 04:01 PM   #20
timhines
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: Old Raleigh Mtn Bike & 2004 Specialized Allez Triple
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you guys must reply to this post "in anger." hehe, or maybe you just "turn the pedals in anger!"
timhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 05:07 PM   #21
SipperPhoto
The Cycling Photographer
 
SipperPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Orange, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard
I wish they'd shut the hell up about Lance and Discovery and skip the Carmichael crap.

Just show bike racing and talk about what's relevant.
Word up my brutha..

I like Lance, and the Discos, but good lord, must they mention his name every 5 minutes? It's oe thing to mention him if it is relevant, it's another to be so openly crazy about Lance that it jsut plain gets annoying!

Jeff
SipperPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 05:18 PM   #22
skydive69
Senior Member
 
skydive69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seminole, FL
Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SipperPhoto
Word up my brutha..

I like Lance, and the Discos, but good lord, must they mention his name every 5 minutes? It's oe thing to mention him if it is relevant, it's another to be so openly crazy about Lance that it jsut plain gets annoying!

Jeff
I guess it is analagous to golf and Tiger Woods. When the mofo is in 15th place, they show his picture instead of the winner, and discuss him. It happens whenever there is a particularly amazing standout in any sport.
skydive69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 11:19 AM   #23
EventServices
Announcer
 
EventServices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Detroit's North Side.
Bikes: Many
Posts: 5,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It's called Mass Media for a reason.
EventServices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 11:41 AM   #24
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive69
I guess it is analagous to golf and Tiger Woods. When the mofo is in 15th place, they show his picture instead of the winner, and discuss him. It happens whenever there is a particularly amazing standout in any sport.
here's a perfect example of this i just saw today, from the BBC website. exactly half of the article (and the headline) talks about armstrong. it barely even mentions laurent brochard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ng/4380709.stm
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 07:01 PM   #25
khuon
DEADBEEF
Thread Starter
 
khuon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
Posts: 12,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay. I'll admit it. I like Lance. I liked USPS and now Team Disco. And I too am getting a little tired of the constant exclusive focus on them.

...

However...

I think it's a good thing for all involved and especially for one specific reason. The reason that OLN is covering them exclusively is to draw in the US audience. Discovery is primarily a US sponsored team and one of the few (only?) in the pro peloton. The reason we're seeing so much from them from a US broadcaster is because they are the only ones. Perhaps this will encourage other US sponsors to sponsor more US teams if they see the large amount of coverage they can gain.
__________________
1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122
khuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:50 AM.