Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member RoboIsGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    2013 Fuji Altamira 1.0//2006 CAAD8
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Austin, TX information/advice

    It looks like I'll be heading to Austin for January/February for some winter training. I've only visited once and know very little about the cycling scene there and what sort of riding there is.
    I'll be doing mostly base training in preparation for the road season. If anyone can point me to good places to train or any helpful information at all I'd really appreciate it!

    Also, if anyone is looking into putting down some serious miles let me know

  2. #2
    Senior Member texbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    My Bikes
    Stradalli RP-14 Carbon, Motobecane 700HT MTB
    Posts
    368
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The road scene is active in Austin. There are a number of clubs and rides. Look at Austin Area Outdoor Events Calendar for group rides around Austin. You can find a list of the bike shops and clubs at my website Texbiker.net. Violet Crown Sports Association is a good one,
    Enjoy your time in Texas.
    www.Texbiker.net/blog/
    Texas Bicycling News, Events, Experiences

  3. #3
    ride lots be safe Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,166
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboIsGod View Post
    It looks like I'll be heading to Austin for January/February for some winter training. I've only visited once and know very little about the cycling scene there and what sort of riding there is.
    I'll be doing mostly base training in preparation for the road season. If anyone can point me to good places to train or any helpful information at all I'd really appreciate it!

    Also, if anyone is looking into putting down some serious miles let me know

    you might also try posting a question in the "general" forum on txbra:

    TXBRA.org = The Texas Bicycle Racing Association
    "have fun and be kind"
    - an internet post

  4. #4
    Senior Member TexMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    My Bikes
    Giant Propel Advanced, pinnerello dogma 65.1, specialized venge, CAADX
    Posts
    917
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    you might also try posting a question in the "general" forum on txbra:

    TXBRA.org = The Texas Bicycle Racing Association
    Check "waterrocket" he lives in Austin

  5. #5
    Senior Member spectastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    undisclosed
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    2,402
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you missed the tour das hugel. I didn't go this year because of work, but I heard it's a super hilly ride. You can probably look it up.
    8/30 eight bats.. jajaja

  6. #6
    Senior Member RoboIsGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    2013 Fuji Altamira 1.0//2006 CAAD8
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice everyone. It looks like there is quite the cycling scene down there and a lot of group rides. Can anyone recommend any in particular that are worth going to (the faster/longer the better). Also what are your favorite LBS'?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Tyrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Central TX
    Posts
    557
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the week, Grouppo VOP is a good option for mixing it up with the working stiffs: Gruppo VOP | Austin TX | Bradley Houston | Cycling Lawyer | Cycling Accidents |
    Weekends, a fast ride starts at ATC: Rides and Events - Austin Tri-Cyclist TX 512 494 9252 (Lots of roadies - not just tri geeks)
    The MJ 100k on Sat is also a good weekend option: Rides and Events - Mellow Johnny's Bike Shop

    Disclaimer: I haven't done any of these rides. Haha!

  8. #8
    Senior Member HOWSER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to be in Austin the week of Jan 7-11 go check out Zilker Park downtown. They are having a little race there all week.

  9. #9
    FFJ
    FFJ is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be in Austin this weekend and trying to decide between MJ's 100k and the ATC ride on Saturday. Any Austin folks have any strong opinions on which ride is the better training ride?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Tyrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Central TX
    Posts
    557
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still haven't done either ride so no opinions from me.

  11. #11
    ride lots be safe Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,166
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FFJ View Post
    I'll be in Austin this weekend and trying to decide between MJ's 100k and the ATC ride on Saturday. Any Austin folks have any strong opinions on which ride is the better training ride?

    Do the MJ's - the ATC is a very large group, all sorts of abilities, tri bikes... and the roads are crap - busy highway shoulders covered with trash.
    "have fun and be kind"
    - an internet post

  12. #12
    FFJ
    FFJ is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Do the MJ's - the ATC is a very large group, all sorts of abilities, tri bikes... and the roads are crap - busy highway shoulders covered with trash.
    MJ ride was a good choice. The group kept a good tempo most of the ride with a few stretches where folks were hammering it before regrouping. The ride had a good mix of some younger Cat 2/3 types and a good number of strong masters racers. Lot of fun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •