Old 10-08-03, 12:06 AM
BigFloppyLlama

Bikes: Trek 1000, Giant TCR Composite 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eating and Cadence

Two questions completely unrelated to each other in this case. The first is mainly dealing with good ride snacks (both before and during). Right now I’m just eating a granola bar every hour or so I’m on the bike, with one before the ride as well. I guess I’m just looking for suggestions regarding good “boosts” that don’t involve the power bar things. I'm usually riding about 2 hours (~45miles) a day and tend to run out of energy in the last 5 miles if I don't eat anything.

The second question I’ve heard a little bit on, but nothing really concrete. For about 2 months I’ve been spinning at about 90-100RPM’s but recently I’ve been trying to push larger gears at about 70-80RPM to achieve the same speeds. I can’t exactly pinpoint a dramatic change, but I do tend to have more energy after spinning less. After the ride however, my legs are absolutely dead at the lower cadence but not so when riding at a higher cadence. Is this more of a personal thing, or should I be looking to ride at an optimal cadence?