Old 11-04-06, 02:08 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by George McClusky
I just rode a Randonee and it just didn't seem to fit.I had the saddle up where my leg was straight and back as far as it would go,but after 5 miles my knees were killing me.Also I had to keep moving my hands every 2 minutes and I just couldn't get comfortable. I got home after the 5 miles and jumped on my FX 7300 and I was in real comfort right away.I was thinking if I moved up in the FX line that may be what I need.I thought I could use the drop bars but I have arthritis and I just can't make it work. Or am I just better off upgrading mine.I hate to think this is as far as I can go,but I should be thankful that I can ride at all.Thanks George
Part of the design of drop bars is that they distribute some of your weight off your butt and onto your hands. At the same time, they offer multiple hand positions so that the amount of distribution can be modified throughout the ride. This works well for healthy people, but joint damage from RA makes this very hard on hands.

Try this, put down the keyboard and stand up with your hands relaxed at your sides. Now, without turning your wrists raise your aims in front of you. Your hands are probably now extended in a "hand shake" position and 90 degrees off axis from a flat bar hand position. The handle bars that will come closest to putting your hands in this most natural of positions is the old "north road" style. Match those with a suspended seat post or sprung saddle like a Brook B-67 and I think you'll be able to ride with at least as much comfort as you have on your FX. A bike shop will be able to modify an off-the-rack model for a nominal fee or build you an LHT like this.

RA is a nasty disease, but the research is moving very fast so make sure you keep on top of the latest treatments.

Note, I'm not an MD. I just live with an RA patient.