octico
Member of Team Wheaties!

Bikes: 06 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
Here's a relatively recent addition to my stash of machines. This screenshot is off my "guest" laptop. This is a laptop I loan out to people who are visiting me and didn't happen to bring their own laptop but want to hop on to check email and browse and such. It's an old IBM ThinkPad X21 (ultraportable). It sports a 600MHz Pentium-III, 192MB of RAM, 10GB HD and a 12" display. I stuck a cheapo 802.11b wireless card I had laying around in it. It's loaded with a stock install of FreeSBIE-1.1 LiveCD. This is a FreeBSD-5.3R distro with a bunch of goodies all wrapped into an ISO that can be run on a diskless machine. It's similar to the idea behind the Knoppix Linux distro. However, you can also choose to install it to the HD if you want. It's a quick way to build a fully working out-of-the-box FreeBSD laptop. The install took me less than half an hour. I just popped the CD in, hit the enter key a few times and off it went. The window manager is XFCE4 (FreeSBIE also comes with Fluxbox) and I'm running both Gnome and KDE servers underneath to support any apps that need those. Running FreeBSD makes this pretty snappy for such a relatively old and limited machine. Windows 2000 was a dog on this thing. And XP was simply painful.

This second set of screenshots are from my Cingular 2125 phone running Windows Mobile 5. I've highly customised it which is fairly easy to do since all the screens and such are configured via XML.

Good job, you are a bike riding geek!! My goal was to find if there were any NON windows geeks here, I guess I am not alone.The problem in our field is that most programmers spend more time in front of the monitor, and less time in front of the stem.