Old 11-30-01, 10:40 PM
LightBoy
hyperactive ferret

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with velocipedio that you should start with a classic set up. Better still, if you can find a reasonably priced combi set up, I'd recomend that, because it's designed for both skate and classic use. The draw back is that it's a little like a TV/VCR combo - it's not going to be as good for either as a dedicated set up. It will, however, be better for skating that classic skis would, and vice versa.

Ditto for the waxes. I favor Swix wax, and they offer a combi pack with yellow, pink, and purple glide wax that covers a range from 14-50 degrees (F). Add a pack of blue (14-neg 26) and you should be set for the season. I don't classic ski a lot, so I don't get too nit picky about kick wax. Special Red, Extra Blue, and Special Green are usually enough to get me through a typical winter.

So far as the ski lengh goes, I would definatly advise going to a shop and getting fitted. Skis of the same length can come in different stiffnesses (is that a word!?!), so length isn't the only thing to go on. For what it's worth, I'm about your size and I use a 183 for skating, 193 for classic.

Buying skis is kind of like buying a bike - you want your sales person to be knowlegeable. You will want a good fit, and a good model for your needs (and the really expensive one the chick with the holes in her face wants you to buy probably isn't it!). Otherwise, you're probably not going to have a lot of fun. I'm not familiar with the Madison area, but REI has a store there, and they have a ski department (I think). The staff is usually very helpful and would help you find the appropriate ski package. Even if you didn't buy your stuff there, it's at least a resource. If you were to buy gear there, there's a package deal on skis, boots, and bindings, but I'm sure most places would do that. It's also early enough in the season that there is still probably a good amount of last year's stuff still lying around that they'd sell at a good price. Check out www.rei.com for product info.
(I'll be honest - I work at one of REI's Minneapolis stores, so this is a fairly shameless plug for my employer. But, as I am trying to be helpful, my info is true, and REI is in fact the onlt place that I know of that sells skis in Madison, I feel that my shamelessness is justified. If I tried to sell him a membership, then I'd be crossing the line, but I'm not doing that, so I'm okay. I think. Maybe?)

Hope this helps a little. I think once you get started, you'll really enjoy it. In a couple years you'll be ready to ski the Birkie!

Good luck!

Last edited by LightBoy; 11-30-01 at 10:44 PM.