View Single Post
Old 11-06-06, 05:05 AM
mscommuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Leggings are also known as leg warmers. You'd want to wear a pair of shorts with them for decency's sake because they go from about mid-thigh down to the ankles.

Tights are full bottoms, like a pair of women's tights which she would wear under a dress, which go from the waist down to the ankles.
Ah! So that's the source of my confusion, here in the U.S. we call what you're describing as tights: leggings, and tights are those slightly-thicker-than-pantyhose-but-thinner-than-leggings things for regular dress (although, of course, what you call tights and I call leggings are also in style under tunics and dresses at the moment). Clear as mud? :-) At least, that's the lingo in the non-biking world here and I'm relatively new to that, so thanks for explaining - I just haven't learned all of the terms! I haven't even seen what you're describing as leg warmers/leggings, but again, definitely not educated on all the gear yet!

Once it gets seriously cold, I'm sure I'll wear whatever keeps me warm, but my silly vanity will probably keep me with the smooth line of tights/leggings for awhile. :-)