Old 10-11-03, 09:37 PM
KleinMp99
New to bikeforùms.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgadbois
I am 17 and from Minnesota and I am interested in starting to Downhill race... I have been searching for information on the internet for the last few days with nothing that helps very much. I was wondering if anyone knew any starter sites, or information on how to start racing, like how to train, equipment, etc. I have been riding my bike my whole life and enjoy off roading. I plan on getting a new bike soon, because I dont know if the bike I currently own will be able to handle downhill racing... A pic of my current bike is attached

I remember the first time I started looking to start downhill racing. I couldent find hardly anything on the internet. I think the best thing is to try to find some local races, maybe go to a bike shop and ask. I know there are downhill races in wisconsin and michigan where I live, but you would have to travel. I am sure there are races in minnesota. I have a bike that i am selling that would be a great starter downhill bike. Its a specialized bighit comp that I upgraded and put a new fork on, a Marzocchi junior T. You dont need a huge travel bike if your just starting out, unless you think you have the skills to really use 8" of travel, and I dont even need that much and I am pretty experienced. My bike has 6.3" rear travel and 7" front. Most of the downhill bikes will use 6-9" of travel or even more and 7" in the front is pretty much normal. You want to look for something with a good warranty (which most bike companies have now, like lifetime frame warrantees) and you will need to spend $1500+ to get a decent bike that will take a beating all year and not break down. If your interested in my bike check out this link, I did put double crown fork on the front and an 8" rear rotor on mine though, so its a little more expensive. http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...a35abp1.j27006

You might also want body armor, which you can find most of the stuff that people wear at this site http://www.cambriabike.com/dh/dhgear.htm from there you can visit the manufacturers sites or search the internet for better prices. I have pictures of my bike but I cant really post them here at the moment. Let me know if your interested and we can talk. I am selling it for $1400, but I may be able to go lower. I also have extra stuff I am including.