Old 11-08-06, 01:30 PM
Varroa
Dam it is cold here!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwoloz
I have a Columbia OmniTech waterproof jacket and the same thing started happening, no longer beaded water and more just soaked in
Columbia told me simply to wash the jacket and throw it in the dryer with a towel and that would reactivate it. Worked like a charm. They also mentioned Nikwax if that failed

Thinking about picking up some Nikwax as REI and trying to waterproof my backpack. Think that would work?
Using the dryer or a iron to re-activate DWRs (Durable water repellency) on most gear can work, depending on the type of DWR and the age of it. Try and dryer first and if you notice NO increase in waterproofing then don't bother with the iron. But if the dryer does increase the water shedding then go ahead and try the iron but make sure you don't melt you garment in the process.

Also, washing you garment in a technical wash product like Nikwaxes tech wash or another product like Sport wash (found at walmart in the sporting/hunting department and some outdoor stores) or even Woolite Zero (almost the same product) and then drying in the dryer can really improve the DWR on some garments. I recommend washing your garment with one of these product prior to re-applying any DWR. Don't use a conventional laundry detergent and this can have chemicals in it that stay on the garment after the wash and can reduce the breakability, wicking or waterproofness of the garment.

p.s waterproofing a backpack or a bag is never a usefully thing, it can add SOME waterproofing but a packcover or a dry bag inside the bag is the only surefire method of keeping a pack waterproof (too many seams, zippers and the fabric is usually not good for waterproofing). There are some bags that are waterproof but if yours isn't already then I would just get the pack cover/dry bag instead.