View Single Post
Old 10-14-03, 01:25 PM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll be surprised at how far you can ride if you ride at an easy pace. When you're touring like you sound like you will be, you do not need to be speedracer and ride at the 18mph average. I find that by riding at around 14-15mph, I feel like I can ride forever. So one hint that may work for you or may not is when you do your first century, do it at a brisk pace, but obviously not to fast that you can't finish. Then get some training in at a more leisurely pace and you'll feel like you can go forever. Plus, you have all day to do 100 miles, no need to get it over in 5.5 hours. The most important aspect in your training is to have fun, enjoy the miles, enjoy the scenery, it'll make the 100 miles appear like 10. There are some people who never seem to look more than 10 feet in front of their tire, but if you go out there and enjoy the ride, you'll not only be happier, it'll be easier.

I've ridden in Delaware a little, my father has a house in Lewes so I'd ride from the ferry to his house, only about 6 miles but you have some nice country roads down there, pretty flat though!

Jay