Old 10-15-03, 06:11 AM
Ohio Trekker
Passing!

Bikes: Trek 1988-520 & 2003-7500, 2004 Specialized Allez Sport & Stumpjumper Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lamajo25
Hijacking another. I'm sure glad you guys are all police officers. We sure can use the help in solving the accidents by reading the news paper. You know there is more to it that we don't know and I'll give you a bit of information.

Assume. Ass-u-me. And to assume does just that.
I was perfectly clear in saying it was an assumption. To me two facts remain very clear, and I have no idea how you drive but;

1. I would not have proceeded at a speed faster than I could stop if I could not see where I was going, perhaps I am abnormal in my driving habits. Fog, Rain, Snow, Ice and Sun are all factors that (not exclusively) limit visability and suggest reduced speeds are in order.

2. I was always taught to expect the unexpected, I remember driving simulators with kids running out from between parked cars, or chasing their ball into the street. Driving defensively saves lifes.

And no, I am not a police officer, I am a compassionate human being, who finds it tragic that people can drive so irresponsibly in any circumstances and not be cited because they have a lame excuse. Just like everything else in our litigious society, it's always someone elses fault. Perhaps there was a shared blame for this accident, and whether the cyclist was at fault or not, the driver could have prevented it by heeding the above two common sense driving rules. I guess our society would rather accept lame excuses, than enforce common sense leaving driving a right as opposed to a priveledge that carries responsibility. Who should I have compassion for, the person who was killed or the person who I still feel was driving less than responsibly?

And I for one don't think I was solving the crime, I was voicing my opinion based on the limited facts presented, and my extensive driving experience. I feel that with the exception of YOU, everyone understood what I was expressing, and cut me some slack. If you want to add to your little armory of quips like "assume", perhaps you could add opinions are like @ssholes, seems fitting in this case. I regret my statement calling the person a muderer, and have given considerable thought to my use of the word, but I remain firm in my belief, she was driving less than responsibily, and perhaps the outcome could have been different. But I will never be sorry for voicing opinions, and carrying on a logical, and non-confrontational discussion with the majority of level headed people around here.

Some people discuss and contribute, some people hi-jack. That's what makes the WWW go around.