Old 10-19-03, 07:03 PM
Rich Clark
A Heart Needs a Home

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a lot of variables.

People vary. Those with more body fat seem not to get as cold.

Fabrics matter a lot. Wear cotton and get it wet with sweat and you'll never get warm.

How you ride matters. Ride hard and you stay warmer.

Spend 60 seconds standing at a red light in sub-freezing temperatures in a 20mph wind and whatever you're wearing will be insufficient.

So everybody ends up experimenting and finding the combinations that work for their physiques, their riding styles, their environments.

Personally, layering with lightweight synthetics works best. Even in sub-freezing weather, a thin coolmax base layer, a long-sleeve jersey, a fleece jersey, and a shell do the job of keeping my torso warm (core temperature being a major part of the battle). My biggest issue personally is feet and hands, and it's a struggle. Even double wool socks under my shoes and lined booties over them don't completely do the trick, nor do my Trek Wooly Mammoth gloves with extra glove liners.

I have to keep a set of winter outerwear at work, though. What I wear cycling is totally inadequate for just walking around at lunchtime if it's freezing outside.

RichC