Old 11-19-06, 12:46 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I usually set up event goals once I know what's on the annual calendar. I'll see what's on the Cascade Bicycle Club web page (they've got the most extensive non-racing calendar in the Pac NW), and I'll check out what's happening at the Seattle Bike Expo in February.

One thang I have started to do more seriously is to track how long parts and consumables are lasting. I've now got a system for noting which wheel I'm using on which bike and type of tire on that wheel, so I'll be able to get a handle on exactly how long wheels and tires are lasting. A lot of bookkeeping, but I've got the files set up on my PDA, on which I track my daily mileages, and I'm an accountant. (I used to be an IT manager, but the world is too full of IT managers and - judging by all the corporate shenanigans - not enough honest accountants.)

Here's some data I've collected already on how long tires have lasted on my tandem (43 lb tandem with 320 lb crew):
  • WTB Camino 700x23 front, inflated to 120 lb, bulge from overinflation: 2,390 km
  • Nashbar Prima 2 Plus 200x23 rear, worn thru: 2,349 km
  • WTB Camino 700x23 rear, worn thru: 3,257 km

I'm just assembling some info on how long various brake pads have lasted on my fixed gear rain bike, but wear rates differ significantly depending on time of year and weather conditions, so I've had to add installation and replacement dates. This is turning into a significat project!

- L.