View Single Post
Old 10-23-03, 10:20 AM
RWTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the Shen.N.P. along the Skyland Drive backcountry camping (anywhere a certain distance from the road or trail)is free but a permit is required.Personally I have camped there frequently backpacking and never bothered to get a permit once andwas never discovered but then again I knew my way around .As to the Parkway again all my camping there was done away from the road along the A.T.mostly there .I can guarantee you thruhikers going through there on the A.T. often camp close to the road sometimes even in the car pulloffs.I would not do this more due to security reasons because while rare there have been cases of sicko's bothering campers in the area .One case from the Shen.N.P. is going to trial as we speak(the two girls who were killed about 7 years ago).So while I have seen that bit on Ken's site I would think if you stay off the parkway overlooks and camp on Natl. forest or wilderness areas etc. and are low impact and discreet you will have no problem even in the unlikely event a ranger were to discover you.On the other hand if you had chopped down trees to start a fire to roast a endangered eagle you might have problems lol.It probably wouldn't hurt to check with the Parkway officials to see what they say though and maybe even post what they say to this thread for others benefit.