Old 12-03-06, 02:35 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackSmart
Hmmm.. Maybe MTB shoes are just wicked heavy in general. Even the Sidi Bullet II's weigh in at 725 grams (1.6 pounds).

By contrast, a cheap pair of normal running sneakers weights about half that. Like these at 350 grams or so: http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceM660WB.htm

Maybe my expectations are unrealistic. And maybe my current shoes compare just fine in terms of weight given that even mid-level mountain shoes are heavy-as-ell. I guess it just annoys me that when I lift up my bike shoes they feel like lead bricks because I'm used to waering running shoes.
Comparing to running shoes is unreasonable. Bike shoes need to be stiff and that is way more important than weight (within reasonable limits). You can probably lose a little weight if you find a pair with carbon soles, but undoubtedly they will be more expensive.

Personally I don't think that the weight is that big of a deal (again within reasonable limits). Would it be nice to make them lighter, yes. Would it be worth making them less stiff or less comfortable to shed some weight, I doubt it.