Old 11-05-03, 03:19 AM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have to disagree with the statement regarding motorcycle helmet designers not worrying about weight, ventilation, and aerodynamics. All of the high end motorcycle helmets (some good examples were mentioned earlier) are pushing the envelope in these 3 areas as much as the current safety regulations will allow.

As a former superbike racer, I can attest to the following:

Light weight and good ventilation keep you less fatiqued, which helps keep you from making a mistake and getting killed, and or killing others. Aerodynamics keep the wind noise down, and keep the airstream smooth over the top of your back, which cuts down the buffeting/lift/drag we encounter at speeds up to 170mph+

Most race worthy models are made by hand out of fiberglass and kevlar composites, and are able to withstand tremendous forces of impact, be fire proof, and not seperate/grind through while you are sliding on your head at triple digit speeds. I actually slid along on my face shield one occasion.

But getting back to the cycling overpricing issue. You are paying $159.99 for several ounces of styrofoam that comes shipped in several more ounces of styrofoam. But the packaging,and the shipping and handling is only $8.00........

I would tend to believe that the high prices are due in some part to potential liability. If a judge or jury rules that the Manufacture is at fault becuase someones helmet didnt prevent them from dying, your looking at a pretty big bill. But its mostly It is what the consumer is willing to pay. If someone came out with some new helmet that retailed for $250.00 I think we all know at least one of those "I have to have all the cool stuff first" people who would buy it. Assuming it can be produced for a similar cost as other helmets, the manufacture makes a killing.

But Helmets aren't the worst injustice, Its the shoes that get me.....

$200.00 plus for a pair of plastic shoes with velcro?
No crash replacement, doubtful potential liability, R&D? I don't care if it has a carbon sole, throwing a few fibers in some resin and having them molded by a machine doesnt cost that much more, especially if they are made in Taiwan. I figured if I might as well make a statment and get something that entertained me, so I bought these. http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=5&minor=1

The other day I saw a Rain Jacket, made of white ripstop nylon for $95.00, C'mon! for $30.00 less you can buy a whole tent.

There are a lot of cyclists who like to spend, and the Manufactures have figured this out. Hence all the Marketing fluff. Campy has some new shorts out, with silver threads in the chamois, because.......get this..... silver is naturally anti-bacterial! Guess what.....So is soap, go wash your non-sliver lined shorts.

Assos has some bib shorts that retail for 219.99 yeah.... 219.99 "Using technology from Formula One seat manufacturing, the insert uses a revolutionary foam compound with dynamic memory that conforms to your body and provides better impact absorption that a standard pad."

All Im waiting for now is some schmo to tell my on the next group ride "I was gonna get those Campy shorts with the silver in them, but I heard that they were 5 grams heavier than the non-silver ones"

But these "marketers wet dream" consumers are actually very important to the industry. They keep the LBS in business, and the manufactures too. Windtunnel time is expensive. Come to think of it...Perhaps instead of chuckling, I should thank them........

Last edited by Smoothie104; 11-05-03 at 03:42 AM.