View Single Post
Old 11-06-03, 10:10 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Restarting an old thread...

Wow! had to dig through the archives to find this thread! It is a great one, though, so I thought I'd re-animate it.

Why is this a great thread? Because these are three excellent, great value bikes. I've done quite a bit of research and here's my take:

- The Carpe Diem is a great all around bike. Please ignore the guy who said he didn't trust the frame because it's made in China. Everything I've read indicates it's an excellent quality frame. Besides, techniques for welding titanium are very uniform, so just because it's made in China does not mean the quality is compromised. I really love the Airborne web site and order process; you can configure the bike any way you want, which is absolutely wonderful. As others have mentioned, the CD is a light tourer; the semi-compact frame and shorter chainstays make using larger panniers somewhat difficult. If you like using a trailer, perhaps the CD might work for longer tours.

- The BLT is a no B.S. loaded touring machine. Everything about it is designed to reliable and functional, not flashy or superfluous. The frame is excellent and should last at least two decades if well cared for. The wheels are also very durable and specifically designed for loaded touring. And while some people don't like the barcon shifters, they are the best choice for long tours. While they do take some getting used to and aren't as smooth as STI shifters (because they aren't connected to the brake lever), they offer greater reliability. I also like that Bruce Gordon is a small, independent company, but that's just me; I'm always partial to the little guy

- The Trek 520 is arguably the best value of the three. As is, it can work as a loaded touring rig, but as others have mentioned, overall it is inferior to the BLT, and here's why: While the 520 has a good frame, I believe the BLT's is a little better; both are Chro-mo, but the BLT frame is higher grade. This might not make a huge difference, but it's something to consider (I've also read the geometry of the BLT is a little better, but have no first hand experience) Secondly, the BLT wheels are superior. As someone else mentioned, custom-made, loaded-touring specific wheels are tough to find. The 520's wheel are fine, just not as good as the BLT. Lastly, the 520 gearing is more well suited for light touring/commuting than loaded touring. So in summary, the 520 will work just fine, but to make it on par with the BLT would cost more than the BLT itself (after all is said and done).

So ultimately, it depends on what type of touring you'll be doing. If you only plan on doing light touring (no camping equipment), I'd go with the Carpe Diem. If your plans include loaded touring, I'd probably go with the BLT, though the 520 is an excellent value. Another thing to consider is that if you are patient you will probably eventually find a 520 for 20-30% less than retail. On ebay, I've scene them go for about $700 new (retail is $999). As much as I like the BLT, I'll admit, if I saw a 520 in the $600-700 range, that'd be very difficult to pass up. All three bike are great, I hope you enjoyed whichever bike you decided.