View Single Post
Old 12-06-06, 10:20 AM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

About the SON dynohub set-up. I acquired that setup myself with an Ovalplus lamp, and rode with it on the BMB, the UMCA 24-hour, and a recent century, and I figure that's the way to go!! Don't bother with an LED light ... go for something that actually lights up the road!! And the SON dynohub systems are definitely allowed on the PBP - no guessing about it.

PS. I had an E6, which I would highly recommend, but it got crushed in transport on my way back to Canada from Australia. In a tragic mental lapse, I didn't take it off the bicycle when I was packing the bicycle in the Sydney airport.
Incidentally, I just completed an LED light with 4 K2 Luxeons on it and it is almost as bright as my HID in the center of the beam. It works great with my Shimano dynohub and is the equivalent of about 4 or 5cateye el500s. The amount of power the generators produce is ample for a really bright LED set.
I do know of many randonneurs that use a double cateye el500 setup but I am happier with mine as it eliminates battery weight and since I need only one light assembly it is lighter. I use my backup light to lightup my cycling computer (Princetontec EOS).