View Single Post
Old 11-07-03, 10:11 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by dragracer
Been too cold to ride the last few days so I brought the bike in and put it on the trainer. Man it's just so damn boring trying to stay on this thing for any amount of time. Ten minutes and I've had enough. It's not that I can't do it, it's just that I have no motivation when I'm on it. I don't have any scenery to look at, I don't have any dogs to dodge, I don't have to watch out for idiots in cars. There's just nothing...... except pedaling. I tried it in front of the television, but that's no better. What can I do to stop the boredom??? Help!!

Ok Ok, I have said before in a previous post that I hate trainers and treadmills. But I use em, gotta or I'll get fat.

I run on the treadmill for 30 minutes and ride the trainer for 30 minutes - chops the whole thing up a bit so I don;t get too bored.

While running on the treadmill I watch TV, usually something pretaped. This I use as a warmup to the trainer. Start off and walk fast for 5 minutes, Light jog for 20, cool down a bit with another fast walk for 5 minutes.

On the trainer I listen to music. This is the 'meat' of my exercise routine. I really hammer, or try to anyway. Energetic music that I prerecorded.
My prerecorded music consists of, but not limited to:
Ray of Light - madonna
Because We Can - from Moulon Rouge soundtrack
Breathe - Prodigy
Some stuff from the movie Matrix.
Does your Mother Know - Abba

I find that this music keeps me motivated.

Something else I do, but I am embarrased to say, is.....I 'pretend' I am an instructor giving a spin class. I am not a spin class instructor, BUT I attend spin class once per week (I find them great and motivating). So, at home I climb on my trainer and start to give a 'pretend' spin class, listening to my music. Usually when my wife is not at home, as I do quite a bit of.....screaming:
"come on, come on, lets go!"
"pick em up and drive em down!"
" Don't slow down!, keep moving!"
"Tension on, stand an spin, keep your hips from bouncing!"
"Up your tension more, slow down the legs, pick em up in the rear!"
"Sit and spin HARD!"

Like I said my darlin doesn't know I do this, if she heard me, she would be concerned. :-)

Go to a spin class, get some techniques, come home and use these same techniques and shout at youself.

Look man, whatever works ok!

Digger