View Single Post
Old 12-08-06, 06:54 AM
coneill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hezz
I think those Toasty Feet Insoles from sahalie.com look pretty good. I wonder if my Sidi's are loose enough to fit them.
I just picked up a pair of the Toasty Feet Insoles, and it didn't make much of a noticable difference. That's not to say they don't help, but it wasn't nearly as big a difference as I would have expected. I imagine it depends a lot on the construction of your shoes, etc. However, I have to say I'm pretty dubious of the theory of heat loss through the cleats. At least with mine they're only attached to the shoe via two small bolts. It seems a lot more likely that I'm losing most of the heat right through the front of the shoe, which is much more poorly insulated than the sole.

On the other hand, I also got a pair of Sealskinz Chillblockers, and those seem to have make a much more dramatic difference. I replaced a pair of thick REI wool socks with a thin liner socks and the Sealskinz and my toes stayed warm the whole way home with it 30F outside, and about 20mph winds, over about an hour ride.