Old 12-09-06, 12:22 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Definetly not #3 or #4.

Anyway, yeah, these situations are lousy. Get a cross bike with some 700x32s or 35 HP slicks on it, ain't scard of a little dirt or gravel for option #5.

I'd also try taking the laneish for options combo #1 and#2, if traffic was not too agressive or heavy. I've ridden long stretches like that and it is uncomfortable unless you get a patient driver behind you willing to ride it out thru the zone..... how long is the construction anyways?

You can make your bike look MORE like a slow moving vehicle, by attaching a safety triangle on it. (Add a High vis ANSI class 2 or 3 safety vest and couple of Superflashes, you'll wind up looking like a low powered street sweeper or one of the construction crew doing something important!) I'd recommend a safety triangle jiggered off a spoke attached to your rack to the left.

you could also look at the detour as your chance to do a little more hill work while exercising option #6.

(Boy, i can't help but wonder if Serge or John F.'s influences had anything on this being enough 'accomodation' in construction zones for bicyclists, I remember Serge going on and on about him 'taking the lane uphill in a construction zone.....')