Old 12-09-06, 03:44 PM
mjwills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Australian looking to buy a bike

All,

I haven't owned a bike in over 10 years, but for health reasons am looking to buy one.

I will be mainly riding it on the road (to get some fresh air and exercise) - mainly at night (once the kids are in bed). It will be casual riding - not racing or anything like that. Bike tracks are not a priority - it is fairly unlikely I will be riding on anything other than suburban roads / footpaths.

Being a cheap bastard, my first instinct was to buy a cheapie from KMart etc. But mates and http://sponsored.uwa.edu.au/bug/welcome/buying_a_bike have convinced me that that might not be a good idea.

So, this morning I went into my local bike shop to get some advice and information. But the guy there seemed more interested in getting my money than actually giving me any advice or information. And that is where you come in.

So, I would love some advice. Very specific advice would be great - particular brands and models would be more helpful than 'buy a mountain bike' for example.

My parameters / requirements are below:

* I am 30 years old, weighing 52 kg (yes, I am light). I am not 100% sure of my height - about 160cm I think.
* I will be mainly riding on suburban roads. Probably 1-3 hours a week of riding all up.
* I don't have a garage, but am hoping to store the bike out the front (I have a carport with brick pylons) because my backyard is very small. I will therefore need some kind of locking and storage system. Do things like BBQ covers exist for bikes (to protect them from the weather)? Any thoughts on weather and theft protection?
* I need everything. Bike, helmet, spare tyres, patch kits, lights etc. Anything else?
* My budget is a little fluid. I am hoping to spend as little as possible (surprise, surprise) but I am willing to spend up to $1000 (this would include everything except storage system for the bike) if need be. I would be interested in options at different price points. What does $1000 get that $500 doesn't or $700 doesn't. And what does $1200 get that $1000 doesn't (if you think $1000 isn't sufficient).
* I live in Panania, NSW (south west Sydney - near Hurstville and Bankstown). I would prefer to buy somewhat locally.
* From the research on the internet I have done this morning, it looks like a hybrid might be the best style of bike for me. But I am very new to this, so I am open to more information and suggestions.

Thanks
Matthew