View Single Post
Old 12-09-06, 01:57 PM
Jarery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorer75
Jarery: A bit harsh don't you think? For the record, I have Under Armor coldgear and I've never been to Starbucks.
Its a company that is going for fashion,and is priced as such, as others post its 2x the price of similar products. I have 1 heatgear, 2 metal heatgear, and 1 coldgear. Most bought as gifts for me.

The metal i actually like, but would never recomend it over a base layer at half the price. Powerdry is my favorite base layer, and costs a lot less and works better.

The coldgear itself does not work well as a base for an aerobic activity like cycling. It is trying to combine a base layer and mid thermal layer into one and fails, as do most all that try a similar approach. Craft is one of the few that works at doing it. Coldgear would work fine for less aeroic activities though.

A base has 1 purpose. Move sweat away from your skin. Does not matter what season it is or what the outside temperature is.

UA coldgear tries to add warmth, and in doing so it ends up holding sweat instead of pulling it away from your skin and moving it to the other side of the material where it gets picked up by the next layer, typically the mid thermal layer.

A much better, and cheaper solution, is to use a polypro/powerdry/capalene base layer, then a merino wool mid layer, then your outer shell. I still wear my coldgear, it still does the job. Just that other base layers i have do a much better job. With coldgear i arrive at work with a moist base layer. Its just not worth the money. And the original poster sounded as if he was considering buying some.

Edit : forum fubar, somehow my reply is now post #1 instead of like 10, hehe