Old 12-11-06, 06:27 AM
bassplayinbiker

Bikes: Diamondback centurion. Home built tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brianappleby
The cogs my 10-speed ultegra cassette are eating into the splines on the freewheel of my powertap-SL hub. They've dug in between 1-2 mm each on the 14-19t cogs. It's so bad that I need 2 chain whips to get the cogs to back out of the grooves they've created in order to remove them.

Is there a solution to this? I've noticed that ultegra cassettes only have the cogs contact every other spline on the shimano freewheel (weight savings?). Are there other brands in which the cogs contact the cassette at every spline? I assume the freewheel body is Al (weight savings?). Is it replaceable? Does anybody make a steel one? I've sent Saris an email asking if they'll sell one.

I hope I have my vocab. correct. When I say "freewheel", I mean the thing that clicks around and the cogs slide onto it. When I say "splines", I mean the raised portions on the freewheel that cause the cogs on the cassette to catch and create forward motion. Without the splines, the cassette would just spin around and I wouldn't go anywhere.

Any other ideas? Or corrections to my vocab?

Thanks
B.
The op has a powertap hub, that is a sort of powermeter thing and they are quite expensive. I doubt he would want to switch hubs. I dont recall if the freehub body is removeable or not. If it is, I would reccoment replacing it. Maby look at a 105 (?) cassette beause there is the possiblility it will be rivited or have a larger contact surface with the notches.