Old 12-12-06, 06:26 AM
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quietrider
Hi. We are hoping to bike across America on recumbents (which we have never done). So I need advise from all you experienced tourers out there what you have found to be a durable, reasonably comfortable recumbent for a 4000 mi. ride. From what I have read, disk brakes (especially for those long mountain down grades) and LWB seems to be what we think we would want. But as for brands and models, I'm still undecided. Sun? Rans? Bacchetta? We are hoping to stay under $1500 per bike. I am a 6'2, 54 year old male, and my wife is 5' and 50 years old (if that helps with frame sizing). What would you recommend (and not recommend)? Thanks so much in advance.
If you want durablilty and you want to be comfortable I'd say like DR. Deltron get a Greenspeed Tandem Trike. We've also had our GTT a little over 4 years and found nothing like it, and with a mountain drive you can ride anything (hills) and anywhere. If money is an issue you can also can look at going with a Wiz Wheel Tandem Trike, you can purchase theres for around $4000 new and they also make an excellent trike.
If I were too look at bikes, my choice would be a Rans Stratus XP a dual 26 long wheelbase, a very comfortable bike IMO.