View Single Post
Old 12-12-06, 01:53 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
This seems to be the most common request on any 'bent site, and the answer is always a version of "get one like mine." I'm going to stop making general recommendations. Instead, here's a sequence for choosing the right bent for you.

1. Try as many different bikes/trikes as you can, regardless of price or style. Take notes.
2. Make the same round of test rides a second time. Revise notes.
3. After the second round, make a list of ALL of the models you tested, in order of most favorite to least. By most favorite, I mean how well they will/may fit the desired purpose, not how impressive they are.
4. Ask specific questions concerning a specific bike, i.e. "what rack works with a 2003 Downunder Wonder, and can it carry 60 pounds of gear?" Consider the unquantifiables such as warranties and history. Update notes again, revise list as necessary.
5. Draw a line in your list, below which the bikes will not meet your needs or desires.
6. NOW price all of the models you have on your list.
7. Compare the ones above the line with their prices and make your best compromise. Or, if you're lucky, your favorite will be one of the cheaper ones. If you have to go down below the line to reach an affordable one, you may need to save more before buying or consider buying used.

A few generalizations:
* no matter what anybody tells you, weight *always* matters
* LWB will have more room on the frame to hang racks and gear
* LWB is better for short people, SWB is better for tall people. 5'7" to 6' can ride either equally well.
* more recline is faster, less recline is easier to balance
* SWB, unloaded, will be lighter
* fairings help your speed only if you're going at speeds where aerodynamics become significant