Frankenbiker
Slow ride, take it easy -

Location: Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, soybean, corn fields of Illinois

Bikes: 98 Mongoose Cambridge with Xtracycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have bicycle lanes on parallel one-way streets going opposite directions here and they are on the "wrong" side of the streets (i.e., on the left-hand side). On one of the two-way streets, there is a bike lane, but only on one side. It isn't posted as a two-way bike lane. I asked the local police whether I should ride against traffic flow in the designated bike lane or ride with traffic on the other side of the street. He told me that it is much safer and legally correct to ride with the traffic flow instead of riding against traffic flow if the bike lane is on the "wrong" side of the street.

Legally, a bicycle rider must follow all the laws that a car driver must follow. Therefore, riding the wrong way on a one-way street is against the law (unless the bicycle lane is marked for bidirectional travel) and if a bicyclist were to be involved in an accident while doing so, the bicyclist could be ticketed for improper lane use (or even if there wasn't an accident). I'd check with local law enforcement to get their input.

There should be a bicycle lane going in the opposite direction on a parallel one-way street. You would be better off taking that one, if it exists.

P.S. I've been hit by cars twice, so far, while riding in these bicycle lanes. A left hook and a right hook.

Last edited by Frankenbiker; 12-12-06 at 09:34 PM.