View Single Post
Old 12-14-06, 03:30 PM
ronsmithjunior

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jschen
I figure right now I'm taking in about 100 calories/hour via my electrolyte drink when I drink at the rate I should be drinking. On top of that, I eat perhaps 500-800 calories over the course of a century. So let's say 1200-1500 calories. At the low end, it gets me through a century just fine, but I do feel really hungry when I'm through. I guess the high end of what I eat now is a bit less than the minimum I'd have to eat on a double century.

During that time of year, you Canadians get some long daylight hours being so far north! I'm eyeing a ride in February. I'd definitely need lights.
We are talking about the Butterfield Double?

http://www.planetultra.com/butterfield/index.html

It has about 9000 feet of climbing, which is about right, but I would not call it flatish. You will definitely notice the climbing.

Plan on spending 4-6 hours riding in the dark. Starting in the early group at 0530 gives you an hour in the morning and 5 hours in the evening, if you take the entire time. In 2006 it took me 17:45 to complete the route.

You want to start now getting used to have lights and reflectors on your bike. Do test rides not only at night but also during the day. When putting new gear on your bike there is always the chance that it will loosen or fall off after a hundred miles. This is not the type of stuff you want to deal with in the middle of a double. I am very leary about making any kind of changes right before a long ride. Shorter rides, like centuries and double metrics, are perfect for testing new stuff.