View Single Post
Old 12-16-06, 03:06 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Oh, BTW, thinking about sinks, showers, and washing things reminded me of something else ... more of a warning than a tip .....

1) By Loudeac on the way out, so about 400-ish kms into the ride, all the toilet seats had been removed from all the toilets for the rest of the journey. I'm not sure why. Also, ladies ... if they have the same secret control on the way back as they did last time, you'll encounter what might be your first (it was the first one I'd ever seen) stand-up toilet.

2) There will be lady's and men's washrooms at most controls. However, because only 6%, or so, of the riders are female, all the washrooms are fair game to either sex. Don't be surprised to have men walk in as you are changing, washing, etc. It happened to me several times!
I know things have improved in the last few years but Loo's in France can be a bit basic, and smelly. Especially away from Civilisation. For you women- Be prepared for a few shocks on the Amenity front. And for you men- be a prepared for a few shocks on the amenity front.

I lived in France for 4 years and travelled the country in my own particular sport at the time. Biggest tip I can suggest to you is to Mix with the French people. If you stay aloof because the rest of them are foreigners, then that is what you will stay- a Foreigner. Mix with them- Talk with them-Eat with them and you will find the most Fantastic people in Europe.

Edit---- If you are offered a colourless liquid in a bottle without a label on it to drink- Smell it first. If it is not water take care- The last Time I took some it blew the top of my head off. (Illicit Calvados). For some reason- alcohol seems to offered at the most inopportune times and it is not obligatory to take it.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 12-16-06 at 03:13 PM.