edgar_rhode
55+ 200+

Bikes: 06 novara express

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lateral epicondylitis

ok - so that's the fancy term for tendonitus / tennis elbow. but i don't play tennis - i bike.

for about the past month the front muscles on my right forearm just below elbow have been very sore ( bordering on painful ) and i cannot lift anything over a pound or so without my elbow letting me know about it. my GP has recommended i wear an elbow brace, consume motrim and rest it as much as possible. which i have followed as religiously as possible.

i do pilates - but they have been very careful to ease off arm and shoulder routines. no weight bearing stuff.

i have a flat bar road bike. i did my first century and have a little over 1100 miles on it this year. i honestly probably lean into my arms too much. i had some numbness in my right palm after the century - nothing too major - just the usual ulnar / pinkie and ring finger thing.

this is bugging me because i'm concerned with riding in any form. it's supposed to in the mid 50's today and i'd love to get in a 20 - 30 mile ride but i don't want to aggravate it. likewise with getting on the trainer.

my GP is starting me on a six week (3 times a week ) physical therapy routine and then she'll talk to me about cortizone or surgery ( ! ) so...

- anybody else experience anything like this?

- any recommendations?

- any thoughts on sitting on the trainer and just pedaling without using the handlebars?

appreciate all comments - i might also cross post this on several other forums.

Last edited by edgar_rhode; 12-17-06 at 07:59 PM.