View Single Post
Old 12-17-06, 12:10 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I have a locker at the train station, which is a really amazing luxury; it costs me $7.50 each month. So I ride a 'real' commuter bike to the station, park the commuter bike in the locker, and take the Strida out of the locker and hop on the NJ Transit train. The Strida fits very nicely on the overhead rack.
When I get to Penn Station NYC I unfold and ride to the store where I get my lunch. I fold the Strida and take it into the store with me. Nobody complains. When I come out, I unfold the bike, hang the bag of lunch off the back of the seat and ride the rest of the way to work. No need to fold there, my office is big enough. After work, I ride to Penn station, fold the Strida on the escalator down to the tracks, and get back on the train. It's a pretty sweet commute.
Bottom line, I fold the Strida at least twice each day. It's not at all uncommon that I fold or unfold two or three more times, like if someone stops me and says, is that a folding bike? I demonstrate it for someone at least twice each week. Strida really should put me on the payroll....