View Single Post
Old 12-19-06, 04:15 PM
jakub.ner

Bikes: 2 Xootr Swifts, Dahon Curve, Oxford Winter Beater.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there no responsibility by radio broadcasters to a higher authority? I think everyone should write something. I may not be the most eloquent but here it is:

To people responsible for broadcasts at "The Town Hall"/106.3 FM,

This is in response to your 12/18 broadcast by Justin Meccia regarding bicycles, and how they should be dealt with by motorists.

I am extremely disappointed that such irresponsible and inflammatory broadcasts are put on the air. DJs with such irresponsible attitudes, commenting on topics that they are totally unacquainted with, should not be allowed to talk freely to the masses. Especially from "The Town Hall", which carries with it an aura of responsibility and reason.

If your DJs drive vehicles on public roadways, I would urge them to re-examine your state laws regarding all vehicles, including bicycles.

The biggest problem utilitarian cyclists are facing in North America is that of the public not being informed. Most of the public driving cars have absolutely no clue about the roots of their paved roadways nor about the rights of other road users. While a great deal of cyclists should be prosecuted for unlawful operation of vehicles, this by no means implies that the current laws are bad: they are just not enforced. If DJs have issues with illegal operation of bicycles on roadways, they should mobilize your community to enforce the laws already in place to protect everyone.

Illegal operation of bicycles against traffic, at night with no lights, and on side walks, are the most common causes of people's problems with bicycles, not lawful operation as part of traffic.

If your DJs would like to become more informed on many bicycle related topics I would seriously encourage them to use the Internet, starting by browsing through the databases at "http://www.bikeforums.org".

I sincerely hope your DJs will broaden their horizons,
Jakub Ner
London, Ontario, Canada