Old 12-20-06, 09:29 PM
R600DuraAce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You scare the **** out of me!!!! No wonder why I always have very "fullfilling" dreams whenever I am on my rest week or even on a rest day. To the point that I would tell myself "this isn't happening" or "the dreams can't be real" or "this would be so nice if it can actually happen." For the original poster, you don't want to overload your 2 weeks training week with a 3 weeks of workload. Yeah, you can recover sooner but you also increase more stress on your body during the 2 weeks. Your solution is either to train it through. Yes, the only time your legs aren't tired is during the end of your recovery period or when you peak. If you race bikes and train, your legs will always be tired somewhat. You have to work on your recovery. You need to eat food that can speed up your recovery, period. I won't tell you what I eat. I can be 90% recovered the next day after a 3 hours of high tempo ride. Another option is obviously cutting down your work load volume or intensity in order to "make it" to the 4th week. If you lift weight, stop it now. It only tires you and does nothing good on the bike.

Well, I train with a power meter so I know how much stress I am putting on my body. I guess that's the beauty with training with a power meter. BTW, the 4 weeks cycle is arbitrary. Personally, I have trained through 2 6 weeks blocks. In another words, I haven't taken a week of rest for 6 weeks straight. Only took 1 week off on the 7th week. I see that this is the off season and my training isn't that intense. So, there is no need for me to rest on the every 4th week.

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Overreaching ability could be oversimplified as mental toughness. The psychological aspect of being able to work through discomfort, even at sub par performance levels due to built up fatigue, is only a small part. The other aspect of mental toughness is subconscious. During states of fatigue the central governor will only activate muscle fibers if it “knows” that the body will not suffer permanent damage by continuing. In reality your muscles never really get tired, the body just senses markers of muscle damage and fuel depletion and ceases work to protect itself – the muscle could still fire. You can train the central governor to go into damaging levels of workload if you promise to pay it back with an unloading period. The power of the subconscious brain and biochemical feedback patterns cannot be underestimated.