The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Things I would do different:
1) Pick a different route through Frederick
2) I took the wrong 40 coming out of Frederick which was a real nice bike route (signed and shoulders, and NoRacer the climb here was a nice long steady climb.) The route I took to get back on track had multiple 100 foot walls that I had to use my lowest gear on (walking) so that’s out for next time and the other 40 wasn’t as nice (narrow lane) so I’m not sure what I’ll try next time, possibly take the good 40 into Hagerstown and pick up 11.
3) Take 144 out of Hancock (the bit on 70 was kind of hairy but it was low traffic at the time so no big deal.)
4) The section of 68 outside of Hancock bikes are prohibited (oops) but I might do again as I could see no reason why and the long 6% grades were kind of fun if you don’t mind getting totally bonked after riding them (see the last four peeks in the elevation graph.)
a) I think next time I might try and follow the roads closer to the river to see if I can avoid some of the hills and save some time that way.
5) Don’t try and follow the Bike Route signs in Cumberland.
6) Go in a season where I would not have to carry so much water. (Note to self; carrying dehydrated food and the water to cook it in does not work well. )

Overall the trip was real pleasant I especially enjoyed this route to Mt Airy/Fredrick over taking 144 which I would have previously done. The only uncomfortable traffic conditions was on 40 starting around US 15 [in Frederick] for about a 1.6 miles.

I slept for 6 hours on the C&O outside Williamsport but getting up early did no good as the fog was really thick and I could only go at a snails pace.

And Yes I believe the trail is now complete between DC and Pittsburg.
http://www.atatrail.org/

And getting to the Alleghany Highland Trail is real easy from the C&O just look for the Do Not Enter sign by the railroad tracks across Baltimore Street and it’s back there somewhere.
. . /L
=()>()

Last edited by The Human Car; 12-22-06 at 12:27 PM.