View Single Post
Old 12-29-06, 11:09 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
[QUOTE=cudak888]Must dissagree on a few points:

front der. cable stop type $150. to $225. (bronze arm, screw on pivots)
^
Proper FD for this machine is a rod-operated Grand Sport. About $15 for a nice one, probably $50 for NOS.

Repechage replies: the 1052/1 was in the 1958 catalog, '60 and '61 p'mounts I have seen as original had them.

#624 cable guide at BB $60 (cable stop LH, tube guide RH)
^
Can get these for $5 at one of the LBS's if I have to, pretty sure they have #624s in addition to some others

You are correct, double checked item is #626, if you can find them for $20 in reasonable shape I will buy three.

Pre Record hubs and skewers, $150 to $250.
^
I traded a front for components about $20 in value.

A bike needs a front AND rear.

Spokes, chrome plated Unions $30 per set or more.
^
Spokes are where I draw the line on originality. Use new DT stainless.

Save money, lose originality, I do the same often but when one starts with a big dollar bike frame why cut a small corner?

Weinmann tubular rims or Schereens (special order option) $100 to $400.
^
They used Weinmann 27" clinchers.

Not all, best to check the frame, they cam with either 700c tubulars or 27" clinchers, frame geometry differed depending on buyer order choice. My friend cannot put brakes on his '61 with 27" wheels, would have to use "short reach" decades later.

Correct Campy seat post $100
^
I got mine in a trade - paid equivilant to about $25 for it.

I was discussing open market, if you take a decade or have loads of spare time deals can be had.

Brakeset, $20 to $80 (might take two cheap sets to make up one happy set)
^
$30-150 is more like it for those older, engraved Weinmann 999s.

Shift levers, $20 (eagle eye ebay watching, for correct period)

^
Reminds me - just what IS the differerence between the original Gran Sport (not Nuovo Gran Sport) and NR downtube shifters? They look virtually identical, save for slightly different sizing of the "Patent Campagnolo" lettering.

Many differences, in the clamp, in the stamped text, in the backing plate finish, '61 is past the "open" c lever casting period.

Shift cables and housing, $20, Campagnolo only.
^
I used teflon-lined Shimano cable in grey. Looks the same period, and nobody knows the difference. Doubt of '70s/'80s Campagnolo cable would look just right either.

Lets keep it to restoration.

BB and cranks used $80, expect to pay $80 to $130 for each chainring if NOS desired.
^
Too low a price, both for a BB/crank combo of the stock, steel Stronglight Competition, or the Record 151's w/BB. Looking at $100-$150 for the Stronglight Competition w/BB; $150-250 for the Record 151's.

When you do not need them, $80, when you need them $200. I set up the purchase of NOS chainrings, 53 & 49 as he had original, $220. for both from two different sellers, has not seen a 53 since.

NOS cranks doubtful
^
I dissagree. They're available, if you want to add $600 to the mix.

BB set thin cups used good, $80.
^
Campag. Record or Stronglight Competition?

Campagnolo, of course.

Pedals, Campagnolo, small typography, with strap loops, $125. to $200.
^
Or Lytards for $50-100, if you use the Stronglight Competition crankset.

and one thing you forgot on the list:

Campagnolo Gran Sport RD, correct variant. NOS, $225-$250; used, $50-150.

I mentioned in the text after my list that I forgot the rear mech. Needless to say costs will be variable, but to set one up full Campagnolo it will cost you. If you find a mongrel needing parts like a fork good on ya, but this is in context of a frame with an opening bid of $1350. A different league.