View Single Post
Old 12-30-06, 10:33 PM
SayHey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Bar End Shifter Question

I purchased a used Atlantis that came with an extra pair of bar end shifters (Shimano Model SL BS50). I have an Ultegra derailleur and an 8-speed cassette. I put the Shimano shifters on and can't seem to get them to work in the indexed mode. I did some research and found out there is another model that was made -- Model SL BS50-8. From what I've read, the SL BS50 is supposed to work with an 8-speed cassette, but not a Dura-Ace derailleur. (The later model supposedly works with Dura Ace).

When assembled, the bar end seems to have only 7 solid positions (initial + 6 clicks). I've tried assembling it different ways, but it's possible I still don't have it right. I don't have a manual or instructions and haven't been able to find them on the web. My hunch is this only works for a 7-speed cassette but I'm not sure.

By the way, as you would expect, the derailleur works fine in the friction position. Also, I'm fairly certain this is not a limit stop issue as I've followed Park's directions clearly when setting those.

Thanks in advance for your help.