Old 01-02-07, 11:58 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by johnmci
I've had my Jack for about a year and a half - 2 summers in New York City over lots of broken pavement and then here at home as my commuter. I have had a very positive experience with it so take what I say as coming from the Dahon camp!

- very sturdy - no squeaks or loose joints even after some hard runs
- LOVE the Big Apple tires (though you can get 'em for the Montague). Kevlar lined and not a single flat.
- what I need and nothing more; i.e., 7 gears and V brakes rather than Montague's front discs
- lighter than the Montague
- $200 cheaper

While the Montague LOOKS like it might be a more robust hinge, looking at the pic of a one folded up, I'm not convinced it's any more or less sturdy. Probably a wash.

A negative for both? VERY hard to find one to test ride. I got lucky with my Jack that it fits right but your mileage may vary...
Many thanks, very useful to get some feedback from someone who used the Jack for a while. However, you have ridden it in NYC, which is notably flat and pleasant to ride (except for the traffic), from what I hear.

I totally agree with the 7 gears being enough - at least for my (and yours) usage. Having unnecessary chainrings and front derailer adds to the weight. I think the Jack is great for this feature.

And yes, it's a pity I can't test-ride one, but I am pretty forgiving as far as frame geometry is concerned, as long as I can set seat and handlebar height - and also, horizontal position of handlebars. In the city, I like to ride upright and comfy.

Still.... the mechanical being inside me tells me the Montague frame would serve me well, the hinge is in the right place. Could you describe the "broken pavement", how many miles did you ride on the Jack, and how much of it was on that "broken pavement"?

P.S. I hope you don't live in some bad neighborhood.