Old 01-05-07, 09:32 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I can speak semi-intelligently about CF modulus as it applies to Pinarello's frames because I was shopping for them.

Basically, as the modulus goes up, the strength to weight ratio goes up. So, for a frame like the Paris Carbon, they use the 46K carbon and the frame weighs in at 900g and change. The F4:13 is built to a very similar spec in terms of stiffness and ride quality, but because it uses a lower-modulus carbon they made the frame heavier by $200 (and Cheaper by $900) to yield similar strength and ride characteristics. The F3:13 is also built to a similar spec as the F4:13, in fact the same molds are used, but again, cheaper, lower-modulus CF, so the weight is higher and the price lower. The F3:13 also gives up the pretty CF weave, so it gets a paint job instead of just clear coat and paint accents.

I have to throw in my shameless plug for Competitive Cyclist here. Give them a call, discuss your riding style, current bike, and what kind of riding/racing you want to do and they'll give some good advice. FWIW, I'm the same weight and 6'2, and the bikes they recommended highly for me were the Cervelo R3 and the Pinarello Paris Carbon/F4:13. I got the F4:13, and in addition to the amazing ride, the total weight for a Chorus/Fulcrum Racing 1 bike is about 16lb.

Here's a much more eloquent explanation from their website:

Originally Posted by Competitive Cyclist
A critical distinction between the Paris and the F4:13 is the composition of the carbon itself. You'll see a downtube decal on the Paris that reads "Carbon 46HM3K." The key here is the number 46. This signifies that the carbon used can withstand a pulling force of 46 tons per square mm. The F4:13 is made from 30 ton per square mm carbon. This "elongation factor" speaks directly to the weight and to the ride characteristics of a bike. The quality of the 46HM carbon allows Pinarello to use less material in building a frame with optimum stiffness and durability. You can build a frame of equal stiffness and durability from 30HM carbon, but it requires more material so it'll weigh a bit more. This is the central reason why a medium sized Paris Carbon will weigh in at 950g, but an F4:13 is more in the realm of 1100g.

The "3K" designation specifies the finish of the frame itself. The Paris' 3K finish means that each visible square of material contains 3 carbon "strands". The analogy between carbon fiber and expensive dress shirts is useful here -- the more tightly you weave a fabric, the higher its quality. According to Pinarello the tighter weave goes beyond aesthetic concerns. A more tightly woven carbon provides superior strength -- again, allowing the builder to use less material -- one more reason why the Paris weighs so little.