Thread: Cheap Thrills
View Single Post
Old 01-06-07, 05:44 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackberry
Well, maybe not that thrilling but definitely cheaper than a GPS system, a bottle of wine or a blond--and a lot less trouble.

I recently got a $15 pedometer, and someone told me that some "expert" or other recommended walking 10.000 steps per day (or about five miles). So, I reckoned what the heck--I'll do it. And I've been collecting miles ever since.

t's amazing how fast you can rack up a half mile pushing a grocery cart around, etc. But to get to five miles every day actually takes a little doing--like parking your car a mile away from work, taking a 10 minute walk a couple of times a day, etc., etc.

The best thing about a goal like this is it's just challenging enough so you have to make an effort but not so challenging that you can't do it most days. And, it doesn't get in the way of really important things like riding a bike. It's also a pretty painlessly burn an extra 500 calories or so per day.

What a great idea. I bet it requires you to think and plan a little differently to add a few steps here and there. Interesting that folks mention Americans=obesity. Several of us were talking about that very thing on our ride today when we saw some folks waddling out of a store.........they definitely had eaten more than their share of doughnuts.