View Single Post
Old 01-08-07, 08:44 AM
eddy m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
After I posted the photos i have more thoughts...
Road bike: I have downtube shifters (I ride an '87 Cannondale) and they work well for me. Gripping hand on the rear cluster shifter, the other side i can just wack into place.
If anyone else is reading this, maybe you can help ME. I don't know what the heck to do if I get a new road bike with those fancy-schmancy new-fangled brake lever shifters. I'll be fine on the right, but the left is quite a reach.
You could use a Suntour Powercommand lever on the right side. Those were wingnut shaped levers that attached to the handlebar near the brake lever. The right lever has a friction mode that should work with a front derailer. That would be almost good enough for a guy with 2 hands to use. A Kelly Take Off should work also, but they were not as good as the Suntour Powercommands. You'll probably find that stuff on Ebay pretty easily.
I agree that a rear brake isn't very useful on a road bike, but I would still put a lever on the lower bar to use on long downhills to prevent overheating the front brakes.
em