View Single Post
Old 01-08-07, 09:34 AM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chunkyd
i like that Dr.seuss quote! hahahh

Thanks for the information guys! i think i'm actually going to hit the local pawn shop
and maybe get 2 good used bikes. Then i'll beef up what i need..

I'm glad i posted before going to buy... i have a tendency to just go over and buy unnessary things.

i've already decided that that lycra shorts are a must! i'll be that fat guy on the trail blinding you!
so be it! hahah i've been working out for almost 90 concecutive days now (yoga,step,stationary and weight training) and some lycras not going to stop the process! HOO-RAH! hahah

Thanks for the link tom!!!
my 2 cents, buy one used road bike and use the second budget money for a new (or slightly used) set of good wheels.

I ride Mavic Open Pros on ultegra hubs (36 spoke both front and back). They saw almost 3,000 miles last year with me starting at around 375. I don't ride extra wide tires because my frame won't allow it. A cushier ride would be nice... next bike. Oh and they are still as true as the day I bought them. (I've been led to believe that if you get wheels on line which were built by a machine, you should get them hand trued by a good mechanic at your lbs. Just ask them to tension them.)

I'm down to the lower 300's (I was off the bike and on pie for December. So over 300 again. But back on the diet and doing well.)

On the bike shorts: try bibs. No plumbers crack and they are just more comfy in my opinion. The only knock against them is using the head while wearing them. But that is a non-starter in my book.

Be warry of stolen bikes via the pawn shop route...

And in all honesty, as a rule: clydes don't break bikes. If they break anything it is parts and even that is real rare. Now we do bend bikes/parts and that can be ugly but it is not as catastrophic as one might think. (And it warrants extra vigilence in the maintenance department.)

Good luck.