Thread: Lost a friend
View Single Post
Old 01-12-07, 06:36 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
JPPE,

It's hard to sit and watch someone else abuse their life through their addictions. Part of the tragedy is that his/her self abuse almost always abuses someone else (spouse, children, friends, coworkers). These bystanders are often the passive victims and find themselves torn between their love for the abuser and their instinct for survival. Usually love wins out because we tend to be overly optimistic about a person's chances in overcoming the addiction.

One of the hardest things I have to do in my line of work is to speak honestly to these types of problems. There are no "easy" solutions. "Take the kids and leave," is countered by "where will I live and how will I support myself?" And so the addiction continues. A vicious circle like watching a dog chase its tail.

For you, for your children and spouse, for your friends at church, the best solution now is to face the reality of his alcoholism and all addictions honestly and openly. Don't tiptoe around the issue and be there for his children and wife. They will need you. Now more than ever.

As you ride, work out a few ways you might offer to help that family in the coming months and years. Make a tangible difference in their life. And be a positive male role model in the eyes of his children. Bless you for these efforts. I'll keep you, his family, your church and your pastor, in my riding prayers.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com