'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by !!Comatoa$ted
Personally, I disagree with the fluids being the main source of energy during a ride. Of course I do not race and never have.
You don't necessarily have to race to appreciate that. For many people, it becomes very difficult to deal with solid food during long (>2-3 hours) and/or hard efforts. It's also a lot more convenient to put your calories into your fluids, since you're going to need fluids anyway (it's not enough, but I'd rather drink some carb drink + a gel than plain water + a lot of bars). That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat solid foods, if you can. But fact is, many people can't, and don't, so getting what you need via fluids becomes essential.

I've tried the Hammer stuff and it is okay but I'm not convinced that it's any better or worse than competing products. It does have a unique *flavor* (they use xylitol, a sugar alcohol, for sweetening...so "no simple sugars", but that is kind of meaningless anyway). The lack of super-sweet stuff makes it is easier for some people to continue drinking over long periods, which is important.

They are pretty good at marketing the stuff, too. I don't doubt that their claims are somewhere rooted in fact or backed up by studies, but you have to remember they're trying to sell product. It is natural for anyone doing that to use certain facts to their advantage, and to not mention contradictory stuff.