View Single Post
Old 01-14-07, 02:14 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Like so many things, carfree cycling starts out difficult but soon, with practice, becomes simpler.

Originally Posted by SHaterius
Anyway my situation is that I work somewhere where i have to wear nice clothes, and there is no shower or anything where I could clean up in.
I have the same situation (I work in a hospital but wear street clothes, not scrubs.) I wear my cycling clothes on the bike and change to my work clothes (dockers and sport shirt) when I arrive about 10 minutes early. I also cool down a bit in this time. Usually I shower just before I leave the house, and I have not had an odor or cleanliness problem. You probably get hotter weather than I do, so this might be more of a problem for you. I carry my work clothes in my backpack. I fold/roll them carefully and I haven't had a problem with wrinkling. I put them in a plastic shopping bag so they don't get wet or soiled.

Also I don't have anyplace to put my bike when I get to work.
I worked with the security department to figure out a good place to put my bike. Talk to your employer or supervisor. Tell them the advantages of bike commuting. You'll most likely work something out. It is OK to leave a bike outside, if that's your concern. the main issue is theft an not pissing off your employer or clients.

What kind of bikes do people usually use as a commuter?
I ride a mountain bike. But different people ride all the types of bikes. It's a matter of personal preference.

"Think Outside the Cage"