View Single Post
Old 01-16-07, 07:14 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I printed out both pics on a full sized sheet of people, drew the lines I noted above, and measured the angles. And put both sheets of paper together and shone a light through them. They are much closer than I had thought.

The Raleigh specs give the seat tube angle as what the physical tube is, not the angle from the seat down to the crank. That's why it they say it is 64 degrees. The true comparison is the angle from the crank to the seat.

If I had and knew how to use Photoshop, I would blank out the Raleigh seat tube, then create a new one, from the bottom bracket to a position about 2/3rds of the way back on the seat. Better yet if I could tilt the seat forward a little. That's what I did by hand on a piece of paper, and how I discovered how close the two are.

The RANS wheelbase is a little bit wider and seat to crank angle is a wee bit lower.

The seat really adds a lot to the visual image too. And it adds a lot to the RANS riding experience too, as it is a very interesting & expensive design. Having to use a much larger tube to add strength in order to get it to hold the seat from that far back, as well as the custom contour. A real plus for their bikes.

Note that I am not being critical of RANS in any way. Merely noting that the geometry is not nearly as different as it appears to be.

Looking at this picture of the RANS Citi, my first take is that it looks a bit less relaxed than the Dynamik Pro picture posted earlier. But it is the same. The difference is that the top tube has more curve to it, and the seat post is not extended as far, the seat is leveled - rather than leaning forward - and they have a pedal on the crank, which makes it look like the wheels are further apart on the Dynamik. And then they put on handlebars that extend closer to the seat. Interesting play on the setup to give the Citi a very different look.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 01-16-07 at 09:56 PM.