View Single Post
Old 01-17-07, 06:10 PM
SaiKaiTai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You walked out empty handed? Hm. A bird in hand...

It's fascinating to me; it seems no matter what a person's given interest is, there's always a desire for more. Just ask any guitar player about G.A.S. Hell, ask me... the grass is *always* greener and the next new one will always fill a niche that ain't filled now. I know allllll the "reasons", believe me
I also know about buying the Mrs a token of your appreciation. For my wife, it's the "Blue Box". I've probably spent more on her "makeup gifts" than I have on the goodies I'm making up for. Small price to pay, really.

Nothing wrong with a hybrid. It's what I went with when I came back to riding after my -say it with me, now- 20 year layoff. I have enough of the "little boy" left in me that, if I see a trail or path or gravel road that leads... somewhere, I wanna take it. I didn't do that with my old roadie, I wouldn't do it with a new one now, either but with my Kaitai it's a whole 'nother story. One piece of advice: if the Trek comes with knobbies, replace 'em. I told my LBS that I'd be doing maybe 70/30 on-road/off-road and he set me up with some Armadillos; not the best road tire, not the best off-road tire but it does both pretty well. And they are near bullet-proof. As for the forks, I don't know what the Trek has on it but my bike has a lock down so it doesn't do the "boing" under a heavy load. I always lock mine down just before a hard climb. No probs, there, at all.

As for me... I kind of have my thoughts turning toward getting a nice road bike once I start going for longer rides than the 20 miles I'm doing now. It never ends...