View Single Post
Old 01-19-07, 11:11 PM
R600DuraAce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1

Call me realistic but when you are young, you can buy the idea of riding for a team when your team offers no structure and guidance as to how to make you to become a better rider. Just for the sheer fact that you wear the same uniform as the guys next to you. Once you get older and have a car and don't race for a team just to buy bike parts at cost, you realize most amartuer teams are in fact clubs. You have no obligation, contractual agreement, or "duty" to any members of that team. There is no bonding. It gets complicated when you begin to bring your life experience into it. You realize you have nothing in common with your "team mates" at all other than you too are wearing the same uniform.

Originally Posted by EventServices
I know of some "teams" that never speak to each other because they're busy doing their own thing. Consequently, they race like it. They seldom train together. They seldom ride to races together. The only thing that says 'team' is their matching jerseys.

I know of some teams on the other end of the scale that race and behave like a pro team: racing as a cohesive group incorporating tactics and selflessness, dressing the part on and off the bike (polo shirts), and being very selective about who they let on their team taking steps to preserve their chemistry.

I've seen some teams go away for a training camp only to get into such a fight that they never spoke after that.

My team does a dinner in January to get to know everyone including the sponsors. We'll do other things like that throughout the year. I believe that you have to do something to get to know who you're racing with, as opposed to picking 10 guys who ride fast and getting them all dressed in the same kit.

But generally, I think the majority of "teams" on the amateur side of this sport don't ride as a team, and only pay lipservice to what being on a team entails.

Hey Nitro, what's the rumor about the Athens Brick race coming back to life?? C'mon! Get it going! You have the power.