Thread: Post Your Rigs
View Single Post
Old 12-26-03, 03:18 AM
bentrim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
So it's like finding a porky ancient bike that is marginally fast in a straight line but wallows through corners and is under-braked?

Bad analogy. It's just a bike.
You're missing the point. I didn't say that it would perform better than a new bike. It's about paying homage to a classic MTB company.

So no, it's not a bad analogy to people like me who appreciates ALL bikes; not just the "latest and greatest". You just don't see and appreciate bikes in the same way. That's okay. I'm sure there are people who don't like or appreciate other classics either like: 69 Camaros, The Doors and Led Zeppelin, Bobby Orr...you get the picture.

Funny though, that you are dissing the "porky ancient bike". Did you know that a whole lot of bike companies are going back to old school cromoly. Says something about the "ancient bikes" doesn't it? They were built well. Let's hope you and I can say the same for the aluminum bikes we are riding now.

For your last line about a bike being, "just a bike". If that's the case we all might as well think the same and ride the same bike from Sears.

To summarize: We all ride different bikes for different reasons whether it be functional, status symbol, sense of nostalgia and no one is wrong -- some prefer blondes, others prefer brunettes, some like Ginger, others like Mary Ann...

Finally, how many more pictures of the latest shiny new Trek, Specialized, or Cannondale can we possibly look at? I can just go to their slick website to see their 2004 bikes for that.

Don't start throwing rocks from that last comment people, I admit I ride a bike made by one of the "big three" too ...

Last edited by bentrim; 12-26-03 at 01:46 PM.